🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Ending contract
Page options
oscaralende
Community Member

Ending contract

Hello!

This was my first time ending a contract from my end, and for some reason the contract got canceled.

Here are the screenshots, I did all that I was supposed to but something went wrong. As far as I know the client never came back either.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joywriter
Community Member

HI Jeronimo!

That's weird!

I've never seeing that happening in the past.

Have you contacted  Upwork support already?

They are the only ones that can look deep into this and help you resolve this problem.

EDIT: By the looks of it you requested approval of the milestone but never got paid for it because the client never approved the payment.  You simply did no give them time to approve the payment nor did you let enough time pass for the milestone to be automatically approved.

You then went to end the contract with a pending payment request which then, you ended up cancelling the contract without getting paid and refunded the client their funded milestone or if the milestone was never refunded you simply ended the contract and cancelled it since there was no funded milestone or you refunded the client the funded amount by ending the contract.

Best,

Hugo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
joywriter
Community Member

HI Jeronimo!

That's weird!

I've never seeing that happening in the past.

Have you contacted  Upwork support already?

They are the only ones that can look deep into this and help you resolve this problem.

EDIT: By the looks of it you requested approval of the milestone but never got paid for it because the client never approved the payment.  You simply did no give them time to approve the payment nor did you let enough time pass for the milestone to be automatically approved.

You then went to end the contract with a pending payment request which then, you ended up cancelling the contract without getting paid and refunded the client their funded milestone or if the milestone was never refunded you simply ended the contract and cancelled it since there was no funded milestone or you refunded the client the funded amount by ending the contract.

Best,

Hugo

I don't think I did any of that, when you ¨end a contract¨ from the freelancer's end they ask you to upload the file, and when you do that you have an option regarding the amount of money you wish to be paid, it's all within the same action I did not perform multiple actions.

I'll contact support and see what happens, but thanks!

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

when you ¨end a contract¨ from the freelancer's end they ask you to upload the file, and when you do that you have an option regarding the amount of money you wish to be paid,

No. That is what happens when you request payment for a milestone.

When you end a contract with money in Escrow, the money goes back to the client. It even tells you that and asks you to confirm that you understand...

I'll contact support and see what happens, but thanks!

No point. They can not get the money you returned to the client back for you.

Why did you end the contract?

I never saw something telling me that the Escrow money would be ¨returned¨ to the client, this was my first time doing something like this, so I may have missed it. My mistake probably was to request for that milestone, which I wasn't aware I was doing, I thought it was part of the same thing, I should've simply ended the contract but I didn't want to charge $45 either for such thing, whatever.

Yeah, I know, I ended the contract because I thought that way I could get the money, duh! 😂 🤣

The client is just ignoring me.

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

Yeah, I know, I ended the contract because I thought that way I could get the money, duh! 😂 🤣

Ooops

Well, next time you'll know.

The way to get the money is by submitting the work through the "Submit work for payment" function, and then **waiting**

If the client never appears again, you get paid after 14 days automatically.

Hello, 

I ended the fixed-contract and got payment after 14 days. Should I end the contract? Will it affect my JSS adversely?

Jehanzaib, only if the client "wakes up" to leave you a bad review.

Most likely won't.

When the client is gone and doesn't respond to your messages, it just means she doesn't need you (for whatever the reason). Probably too busy to log in again just to write a bad review on you.

... unless you really pissed her off. 🤣
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members