cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending contract

Highlighted
Keith K Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
1 of 12

So....I'm new to UpWork (but not freelancing).

I completed the contract per the customer's requirements.  Customer is extremely happy with the work provided.

I entered my time in (manually, rather than the time keeper app because I didn't know about the timekeeper app before hand).

Client "ended the contract" today because the project is complete.

But I show no earnings for the week (I assume that's because the client has to approve the manually entered hours)?

And in the Client Feedback page I have to provide a reason why the contract was Ended.....

My choices are:

1) Client Never provided details of job

2) Job not as described

3) Client no longer needed this work done

4) Client failed to pay

5) I was unable to meet deadlines of job requirements

That's not what happened. 

The client is a good client (and we are still messaging back and forth).  

What should have been the procedure at the end of the job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
2 of 12

Keith,

Did the client allow manual time in the offer he sent you? Or did he expect you to use the time tracker?

When you say you can't see any earnings - are you talking about your profile? Can you see the payment as being in review when you click on the "Reports" tab? Money earned will only show on your profile as soon as the payment is avalable for withdrawal (after the review period and the security hold are over). But it should be visible in reports.

The 5 choices presented to you seem to imply that the contract was closed as not completed successfully.

I have never seen these options before - but my contracts were all marked as completed successfully by my clients.

It certainly sounds odd.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 12

did you actually, physically,  enter manual timeinto the work diary?

As in, did you go to the work diary, clicked on "enter manual time" and literally, physically, filled in X numbers of hours? Then checked if they appeared in Reports, under "Work in Progress?"

As per http://prntscr.com/8bv2bz They would then appear as manual hours in your work diary like so:

You should really ideally let the client end the contract, then leave feedback for the client afterwards.

The message you get while ending the contract means that no hours and no charges were recorded,

Highlighted
4 of 12

Yes I entered manual time.  

Yes, the entry of manual time was approved as part of the project.

I didn't End the contract, the client closed it out.

I had 9.5 hours in for the week recorded.

I verified they were there before it ended.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 12

Hi Keith,

It looks like manual time you added for the contract is showing correctly in your reports now. Please, let us know if you are still experiencing any issues.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 12

Keith, wait a few more days to see if the funds show up in your account, maybe in the "Work in Progress" or "In Review" or "Pending" tabs in your contractor-side interface. Click on "Jobs" and see if you can find any mention of the funds there.

You say you manually recorded hours, but you don't see any record of those hours.

(As far as I know, it is possible for a client to delete manually-submitted hours, although presumably that is not what happened in this case.)

If the funds are really not there, you might consider contacting customer support.

[In this section I previously gave advice to ask the client to open a new contract, but Petra has much better advice. She says that contractors can make a bonus payment on contracts, even after the contract has been closed. Thank you Petra!

(Her advice is so much better than mine, I'm deleting mine.)]

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

Keith, wait a few more days to see if the funds show up in your account, maybe in the "Work in Progress" or "In Review" or "Pending" tabs in your contractor-side interface. Click on "Jobs" and see if you can find any mention of the funds there.

If the funds are really not there, you might consider contacting customer support.

Ultimately you may need to discuss this frankly with the client and set up a new contract specifically for the purpose of allowing him to pay you, if he is willing to do so.

He doesn't have to, client can easily make a bonus payment on an ended contract by going to Contracts, find the contract and clicking on Actions, choosing Make a payment.

Like so: http://prntscr.com/8bvb65

If he entered  the hours this week there would be under Work in progress and in reports.

Highlighted
8 of 12

Thanks for the number.  I'll try that.

Keith

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 12

Hi Keith,

I have checked the Work Diary for the contract and there is manual time that's been added on Monday and Tuesday this week. The client will be charged for the time next Monday, and unless there is a dispute, you will be paid the following Wednesday. Here is more information about the Work Week schedule.

Please, reply directy to the ticket that you have about it if you run into some issues.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 12

Valeria,

I still have a question regarding the choices for ending the contract Keith was presented with:

My choices are:

1) Client Never provided details of job

2) Job not as described

3) Client no longer needed this work done

4) Client failed to pay

5) I was unable to meet deadlines of job requirements

Why are they all hinting at the contract not being completed successfully? Or am I wrong in assuming this?

It's just that I haven't come across this selection of reasons so far.

Many thanks,

Ela

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS