cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending contract

p_rzeszutek

Hi, 

I finished recently my first two projects. And none of them was ended by the client yet (one was fixed price and second hourly - I have to put hours manual).  Both were paid, but not ended - I know the client has 14 days to pay, but do they have also some time to end contract?

Should I end my contracts, or ask the client to do that? If I will end contract will I receive feedback? It was my first jobs so I need that feedback!

And how should I ask for feedback to make it sound nice but not like a begging?

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Guru

re: "Both were paid, but not ended"

That's a lot better than not getting paid and not ended.

re: "I know the client has 14 days to pay, but do they have also some time to end contract?"

No. There is no constraint on the client's behavior in that way. Eventually Upwork will close an inactive contract, but that may be months away.

re: "Should I end my contracts, or ask the client to do that?:

You always want to have a client close a contract, because that way it guarantees they leave feedback.

re: "If I will end contract will I receive feedback?"

Maybe. The client will be sent a notification, asking him to leave feedback. Will the client see the notification? Maybe. Maybe not. Will the client respond to it? Maybe. Maybe not.

re: "It was my first jobs so I need that feedback!"

You are correct.

re: "And how should I ask for feedback to make it sound nice but not like a begging?"

I never ask for feedback. It isn't professional.

I do, however, ask clients to close the contract if they no longer need it open.

One strategy for doing this? I keep working on an open contract until the client closes it.

Every single thing the client has asked, I make sure I do. Every suggestion they make, I implement. If I keep working on their project, they keep getting billed.

If there really is nothing left to do, then I message them to explain that if they don't me to do anything right now, they can close the contract. I point out that I'm always on Upwork and easy to find, and they can always create a new contract if they want me to do more work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS