cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless revisions, exceeded conditions & a super slow job.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
11 of 13

@ John M --

Preston always seems to have the best wording/approach for this type of situation. It usually goes something like this:

Dear Kevin --  Yes, I can certainly do this additional work for you. As this goes beyond the scope of our original contract, we will need to agree on new terms to cover this part of the project. Would you like to set that up as a fixed-price job or as an hourly job?

johnmatthew1980
John M Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
12 of 13

That's a liitle unfamilliar, Cristina.

Do you start to make drafts and offer them to the client before the start of the contract ?

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
BEST ANSWER
13 of 13

I'm a graphic/web designer here on the platform, and here are my thoughts on the situation: 

1 - Should i present my work officially and request payment or it will be understood as a hostile action from his point of view ?

I don't think it's hostile since the client knew how many concepts and revisions you were suppose to offer. I would wait and see their opinion on the new design you sent, and if they still want more, stick to the fact that you need extra to create even more concepts/revisions. Always state in your milestone how many concepts and revisions they get for the price, and before you are hired, tell them it directly too while in talks with them,  as sometimes clients will overlook the description of the milestone.

2 - Should i / How can i ask for a price adjustment officially as he significantly exceeded the agreement conditions ?

At this point you've already been a victim of scope creep. You asked them for extra, they ignored that request and it went beyond the original agreement once you did work for them anyways. Since there was no new agreement, it may now be hard to tell them how much extra without them wondering why. Doing what I said from the first answer will prevent this in the future. To not fall victim to scope creep, state the # of concepts/revisions at first and if it goes beyond that, say to the client. "Our current agreement is for [current terms] at [agreed cost]. From what you shared, you’d like to add [scope creep request]… I’d be willing to do that for [new cost based on additional request]. Or if that’s outside your budget, we can just stick to our original terms.” 

This doesn't mean you can't ask again for extra, but it may be awkward now that you've already done it without them answering your previous request for extra. They did ignore you which isn't very nice. You deserve it so if you do, ask them if they saw your previous message about extra compensation, as the scope of the project was exceeded beyond the original agreement.  

3 - If i did the above can he leave me a bad feedback that may affect my new profile ?

That's the tough part, they can leave you bad feedback and anyone can do this. The best thing to do is not approach the client in an agressive way about it. Be courteous to them while still being set on your terms. Tell them you want to finish the project and that you have spent a lot of time on it, but you need to be compensated for extra work as it went beyond the scope.  

4 - Would it affect my profile negativelly that the job is taking too long (about three weeks) although that is caused by the client ?

I don't think there are time limits for projects. I've had projects go on for much longer than the due date, so no, it won't affect you or the client. Telling the client the truth though about how the project is going over what was discussed will hopefully help with getting the project back on track. 

I don't think sending drafts before you are hired is ever good. Spec work will never help you and just have you doing free work for nothing. It's also against upworks terms. Clients should select based on portfolios and skillsets. Creating a concept is over half of the work, and the rest is refining it.  So why do over half the work and give away your ideas for free? That's why a client hires you in the first place. 

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS