cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Level: Fluent in written and verbal skills - Not qualified?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Heather L Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 14

I am new to Upwork, transferred over from Elance, and have been unsuccessful to date.  

A number of the projects that I have found to bid on say that I am not qualified due to my English level.  I have taken a few skill tests to try to get rid of that message, to no avail.

Which skill test will qualify me as fluent?  

Any other tips for a transitioning Elancer?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

Hi Heather and welcome to Upwork. You can set your language proficiencies in your profile. To do so, go to your profile, click on edit, and on the right site under availability, find the language section.

You can also take a paid exam at Duolingo, which would earn you an English verified badge (if you link the exam to your profile (under certifications)). I personally am not interested in that badge, but depending on the niche, it might prove helpful.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Heather L Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
3 of 14

Thank you!  Changed to Native   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Christopher S Member Since: Aug 3, 2015
4 of 14

I am new here also. I might also suggest adding English to your skills list. I tried the suggestion (a good idea by the way) given to you and put English in as my self verified language and still the "not fluent in English and verbal skills" would show up. I looked further and finally just put English in as a skill (I, like a lot of others, am very fluent in my native laguage). Hopefully this works without taking the Duolingo test. I have read that some people are saying that clients can also give something that rates the freelancer as proficient in English. I'm not sure that is the best idea because if the "not fluent in English and verbal skills" is there then you might not get that client in the first place. I am not sure there is a correct answer for this particular question.  Sorry for the late post and I hope you had your answer already taken care of. I just wanted to help if possible because I have had the same problem. Good luck and well wishes to you and your endeavors on Upwork!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
5 of 14

I tried changing my language proficiencies in my profile the way you described, but I've noticed that "English" is not available in the list of selectable languages.  I tried manually entering it, but it wouldn't accept that either. Is this some kind of bug with the website?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 14

Hi Dawn,

I checked your profile and I see that you already have English language shown on your profile. If you would like to change the level from Fluent to Native, please go to Find Work > Profile and then click on the pen icon next to the language. On the pop up window, you will be able to select your proficiency level.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
7 of 14

THIS IS NOT THE BEST ANSWER. You can set it all you want, but to clients you will not meet all minimum criteria.

The best answer is that there is a bug that is kicking out native English speakers. This is a known issue. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Problem-with-Language-Settings/m-p/112566#U112566

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 14

After trying your suggestion Valeria, unfortunately Jeri is correct. I changed the settings like you said, then checked the job post that I've been keeping my eye on to see if it corrected the issue. It didn't. I can only assume that that specific qualification, and determining whether or not you  meet that qualification, is strictly based on what language proficiency you have selected. When I clicked the plus sign next to the word "Languages" on my profile, the English language is not available.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 14

I just wanted to update here...

I noticed this morning that this problem is now resolved. Job posts that include the English Level in the client's list of preferred qualifications now reads correctly for me. Maybe the fix that Valeria mentioned in an earlier post did the trick, but was just a lagged website response time.

Anyway, I'm happy that this was fixed! Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
10 of 14

Glad to hear it was fixed for you.

Mine is still not fixed and CS just hems and haws and says I should take tests that are designed for people that use English as a second language.

I haven't been able to work since Tuesday and I am getting very frustrated

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS