cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Level verification (marks for Conversational required)

Highlighted
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 15

I have noticed that there are 2 ways to verify my fluent english. it's actually not fluent, but conversational only - I want to verify conversational.

So.. i want to know some details about the ways to do it:

1. Duoligo test. 20$. Not so small, but okay. How much scores should I've got to be verifiend at Conversational level?

2. Probably some other ways? Of couse if I would want to verify Fluent level - it would required some strong test, but Conversational - probably some Upwork's test is okay for it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 15

Thank's , but I can't find answer for my questions in topic you have provided to me.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 15

Alexandr,

Check out Garnor's original post on the thread that Isabelle Anne shared.

@Garnor M wrote:

If you are in a non-native English speaking country you have two ways in which you can obtain this badge:

• Option one: Submit any of the Certifications noted above. Submitting a certification is the best way to ensure you get the English Verified badge on your profile. If you take this approach (submitting a certification), the “English Verified” badge will not be removed unless you remove the certification from your profile.

• Option two: For freelancers in non-native English speaking countries (who have self-assessed their English proficiency as “Basic”, “Conversational” or “Fluent”), at the end of a completed contract, clients will be asked how they would, “Rate their English proficiency ( speaking & comprehension).” After receiving several (3 or more) of these ratings, the badge can appear on your profile. This is a more complicated process because the badge will be dependent on a combination of a) the self-selected proficiency level you set in your profile settings and b) several of these ratings. This answers one of the questions we’ve been hearing over the past couple of weeks, i.e. “Can a client affect my English Verified badge.” Technically yes, which is why we recommend pursuing Option one above if having this badge is important to you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 15

I have checked. It's very interesting to know that nobody knows...  does it an answer?))

yes.. I hope that it's not a secret and some person from Upwork stuff will answer. 

Highlighted
Ilker T Member Since: Sep 24, 2015
6 of 15

You don't necessarily need to pay 20$ to get your language verified. You can verify your English level thanks to Duolingo for free (If you want a physical certificate to be sent to your home, then you'll have to pay 20$).

Language levels are self-assessed. Therefore, even If you obtain a low score from Duolingo test, you're free to change your English language level to native or bilingual (On your profile customers will see that you are a verified native or bilingual level English speaker).

Moreover, take some tests related to English language and your profile will be quite good.

Good luck mate,

Ilker

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
7 of 15

@Ilker T wrote:

You don't necessarily need to pay 20$ to get your language verified. You can verify your English level thanks to Duolingo for free (If you want a physical certificate to be sent to your home, then you'll have to pay 20$).

Language levels are self-assessed. Therefore, even If you obtain a low score from Duolingo test, you're free to change your English language level to native or bilingual (On your profile customers will see that you are a verified native or bilingual level English speaker).

Moreover, take some tests related to English language and your profile will be quite good.

Good luck mate,

Ilker

From my experience, I was able to take the test for free but the badge did not appear on my profile.  I think that it's the $20 test that is honored. LinkedIn acknowledges free Duolingo test results, though.  Now, when will I have a credit card? lol.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 15

@Juvy Ann P wrote:
From my experience, I was able to take the test for free but the badge did not appear on my profile.  I think that it's the $20 test that is honored. LinkedIn acknowledges free Duolingo test results, though.  Now, when will have a credit card? lol.

Nope. I took the test when it was still free, linked it to my Upwork profile, and received the verification tick.

@Alexandr, I linked to Garnor's post, which explains it. Other than that, there's not much more information available.

Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 15

I simply can't find the way to attach free test.

It should not be okay to make verification by free test - couse it does not verify identity, but Upwork works so strange... I don't know what expect..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
10 of 15

I had to take the paid test to see it on my profile.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS