cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: English language: fluent, native, ...

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
1 of 33

I noticed a badge "Verified" near one freelancer's "English fluent" yesterday. 

I clicked on it but nothing appeared. I would like to know what should I do to get this badge.

There are several types of test:

Vocabulary (UK, US) - Me: bellow average (both US, UK)

Spelling (UK, US) - Me: bellow average (both US, UK)

Basic (UK, US)  - Me: top 30 % (for UK), above average (US)

I guess vocabulary tests are for writters. They have many words I never heard of.

Spelling is probably something for all of us and I should try to get better results here.

There are also punctuation and proofreading tests. However, I think someone should be a native speaker to proofread with ease.

What do I need to have here to get that badge?

Edit: I know my English isn't well enough (results above speak for themselves), but I want to at least try.

Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 33

Interesting, I wonder how you go about getting it verified?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 33

I've got it. What you need to do is:

1) Add an English language certification to your profile and verify it (e.g. Cambridge English or Duolingo Tests).

2) I did that by taking the English Certification Test by Duolingo (http://testcenter.duolingo.com). It's around 20 minutes and free, but you'll need a valid photo ID and webcam. (And follow all their instructions exactly, or your test will be invalid.)

3) After you receive email confirmation that you passed, you can post the results on oDesk, which will give you the verified tick/badge. To do this, go to the link they provide, click "Share Certificate", then "oDesk".

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 33

Thanks!

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 33
Great info from Isabelle!

Some additional info about clicking in the certified label:
Yes, that won't do anything... BUT if you scroll down the page a bit you will see certifications section and you can click on the Duolingo badge there (if the contractor has one), and you will see a certificate on the Duolingo website which tells you the contractor's score and exactly what the score means. You can do this on my profile page and you can do this on Isabelle's page.
rahatur
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
6 of 33

How did you figure it out? Smiley Surprised

natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
7 of 33

Through previous posts. Smiley Wink

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
8 of 33

Not free though, it wants $20. Will having a copy of a degree certificate count as verification?

d0d10224
Barb B Member Since: Jul 12, 2020
9 of 33

Late to this conversation but maybe helpful to others. Perhaps note this information in your profile. It certainly can't hurt.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 33

Someone else mentioned a $20 fee in another thread. I did mine in December and it was free then. If they're charging now, then I'm very sorry about that! 

By the way, the test is not very difficult, so I wouldn't consider it an accurate judge of someone's English level. I simply wanted the verified badge because I was sick of clients doubting that I'm a native English speaker.

But after I got the badge, it made no difference to my job invite/hire rate, so don't be too depressed if you can't take the test or if you can't get your badge.

EDIT: Ramon, I don't think a degree certificate counts (even though it should). A CS respresentative told me that you specifically need a language certification (like from a test). I gues syou can always contact them and ask.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS