Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English language: fluent, native, ...

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
11 of 33

Thanks for the help, but think I'll leave it there then. My last few attempts with customer service have been more gruelling than enlightening and clients often view my profile on acedemia.edu, so I suppose it's not essential. I expect paid odesk certificates are just around the corner anyway...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 33
Isabelle, the Duolingo test is very difficult for people who don't speak English well. You are very proficient with English and you are a native speaker, and your score reflects that. That is the point of the test. The Duolingo test is actually a very good, accurste test for doing what it claims to do, which is to certify English proficiency.
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
13 of 33

Good point Preston, perhaps "isn't very difficult" is the wrong choice of words. But I noticed that there seems to be no difference in levels between fluent and native - that's actually what I was referring to. Unless I missed something?

@Ramon: Yeah, CS is a last-resort approach these days.

kellydengler
Kelly D Member Since: May 10, 2016
14 of 33

This test is now $49. I think that is an outrageous scam and I don't want to encourage that kind of rip-off.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 33

@Kelly D wrote:

This test is now $49. I think that is an outrageous scam and I don't want to encourage that kind of rip-off.

It's business.

Do you really need to take the duolingo test,Kelly? I would have thought you were 'native/bilingual' rather than 'fluent'.  Upwork has always had a problem with this. Were you around when one's mother tongue (whatever language) was marked 'masterful'!

Smiley Wink

kellydengler
16 of 33

When I apply to jobs, it says I don't meet all qualifications because I am not a native english speaker.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
17 of 33

Maybe that's a stupid question: but why don't you set your settings to 'native/bilingual'?

You sure seem to be one or the other.

Edited to add: you don't mention any other language on your profile. So, if English isn't your mother tongue, what is?

And why don't you list it?

kellydengler
18 of 33

Not a stupid question, I have searched for that setting, but haven't been able to locate it. So, maybe I am the stupid one! I joined this service a few years back when it was Odesk, but some settings have changed.

kellydengler
19 of 33

Well, it does show in my settings I speak native english, so not sure what the deal is.

kellydengler
20 of 33

Ok, my mistake. After much hunting and pecking, I found I selected "fluent" instead of "native". Geez.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS