Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English language: fluent, native, ...

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
21 of 33

If your profile displays something different than your settings, you should contact CS.

All I can see on yours is: English - Fluent.

The below is mine:

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 21.52.13.png

Edited to add: I see you already fixed it. Good.

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
22 of 33

I took the Duolingo test (for free) in January, and as soon as received their email confirmation that I had passed, I linked the test to my oDesk profile - the 'Verified' badge immediately showed, but next day it was gone... till this very day. Contacted CS and so on… another bug joined the list… 

andre090904
Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
23 of 33

Hi Guys

I wanted to thank you for the hint.

I also took the exam yesterday and passed it. Strangely enough I got 10 out of 10 points which basically means, according to duolingo, that I am better than native speakers?! If you ask me this ranking is somewhat odd if even foreigners (let's say people not having English as native tongue) can reach a level which is actually "better than native".

Anyways, it all worked fine and I think the $20 investment is worth it.

Best,

André

PS: Yes, that's a new photo as well. Was time to replace it.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
24 of 33

@andre090904 wrote:

Hi Guys

PS: Yes, that's a new photo as well. Was time to replace it.

You should put there the pic you have here on forum. Looks so much better.

25 of 33

Hi Vesna,

You speak of the duolingo photo, right? You are certainly right in this regard. However, the photo there needed to be "live" via webcam. You have no choice to change it afterwards...I believe...

Or is there an option to change it? I doubt it actually. It's part of their verification process and if you were to upload a new image, you could just upload anything, be it a pokemon, a tasty burger or some other person.

Best,

André

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
26 of 33

No, I'm speaking about the photo which was here on the forum just a half or hour ago. It was a regular photo, without hand on chin.  

Dylan G Member Since: Mar 2, 2015
27 of 33

That's funny - I was wondering about this myself. I'm verified as fluent, but I've never done any tests for it. English is my first language, and I've worked with (and sometimes taught) ESL students, so that seems appropriate. I'm just curious as to why it suddenly appeared one day. Is it possible that client feedback has something to do with it?

andre090904
Community Leader
28 of 33

I guess native speakers of English might be verified by simply verifying their passports/IDs. Not that a nationality would automatically guarantee a language proficiency (especially in a multicultural country like the USA), but hey...

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
29 of 33

@André U wrote:

I guess native speakers of English might be verified by simply verifying their passports/IDs. Not that a nationality would automatically guarantee a language proficiency (especially in a multicultural country like the USA), but hey...

Hey André! That's not how it goes actually. oDesk gives clients the ability to rate the freelancer's language skills in the hidden feedback section. Based on the ratings, the freelancer might get verified without taking any tests. I've seen this happen first hand, I rated one of my freelancers and the next day his language skills were verified. The mods confirmed this somewhere in this forum as well.  

andre090904
Community Leader
30 of 33

Wow, good to know! That's still better than a pure "nationality-based verifcation" if you ask me, though still highly subjective.

Are there actually any other ways to verify other languages next to English? French, Spanish, German, etc.?

I must admit I am not not much into oDesk's algorithms and concepts. But as a translator, verifying language skills is crucial. So, can I also verify other languages? And I do not mean oDesk's tests, but this "verified" badge next to the language.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS