Hello to all,
I want to ask your opinion about a problem I have with a fixed price contract. Recently I translated a few documents for an enterprise client. All work was handled through the clients’ Upwork Talent Group, therefore I didn’t communicate with the client directly, but with a project manager assigned to me. I have been hired by that client (i. e. the clients’ Talent Group) several times before, and everything has gone smoothly so far. But not so this time.
This is what happened:
- I delivered the translation and requested approval. I was then asked to make a few amendments, which I did, and uploaded the final deliverables. We added an additional round of proofreading to make sure the documents are free of errors.
- The translation was then approved by the clients’ proofreader, but escrow was not released.
- One day before the automatic escrow release was supposed to take place, the project manager suddenly requested changes to the milestone, but did not really specify them. He was very vague, not giving any details. Instead he told me that the translation has to go through “multiple departments” for approval. But after two rounds of proofreading and a digitally signed approval from the clients’ own proofreader? Sounds weird to me and is completely contrary to my previous experiences with that client. I always got my money within a few days.
- Two days later escrow was released, but only 50% of it. Project manager stated that the rest would be released as soon as the translation would be approved by those ominous “multiple departments”.
- Another two days later the contract was closed without further explanation, with 50% of the agreed payment still sitting in escrow. I asked for a clarification, but nobody from the project management team has gotten back to me so far.
I honestly don’t know how to proceed from here, especially since I am not even sure who is responsible for that situation. The client? The Talent Group project manager? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
You will either have received payment or a request to approve the return of the Escrow funds to the client. Only those two options are possible on a fully funded contract.
check the contract which it is, and let us know to see if you need to dispute the return of the Escrow funds.
thanks for your reply. I didn't get any notification about the job being closed (that happened yesterday), I just saw it when I checked the "My Jobs" page. Job is closed, client awaits my feedback, and there is no option to file a dispute or give a refund.
That is the odd thing, that should be impossible.... flagging so we can get a moderator to look at the back end....
there is no normal way of a contract with Escrow funds closing without either payment of a return request for the Escrow funds being triggered
I just received a reply from project management. Closing the contract was a mistake, they will look into it. But still, being it a mistake or not, it is weird that the contract was closed without notifying me.
I will keep you posted. Thanks again!
Sorry about that, Nadine. The project manager is investigating what happened with the contract as it wasn't supposed to be closed. He'll keep you updated and will resolve this as soon as possible.
Join Upwork's social team on Twitter on October 28th at 10:30AM PT for a live Twitter chat. We'll be leading a discussion of best practices for profiles covering everything from photos to Project Catalog.Learn More
Learn more about our awesome Community member Lisa!Learn More
Virtual Talent Bench enables you to easily discover and connect with talent. Learn more about building custom lists of talent, adding tags, notes, and more to move your business forward.Learn More
Loom addition in messages provides more ways to easily communicate and share information on Upwork!Learn More