cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated Duration for job completion

S S Member Since: Dec 25, 2014
1 of 4

Hi,

I have been suggestiing to oDesk to have an intermediate slab of 2 weeks of estimated duration since there is a big time gap between the present slabs of 1 week and 1 month. This slab helps the Freelancers to keep up the delivery schedule, and at the same time, will not affect the clients.

Let me have your views on this.

Thanks

SShivaprasad

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 4

Hi SS! Help us, help you! What exactly is meant by "slab"?

Does "slab" refer to an interval of time for planning purposes? Does your post have anything to do with milestone payments or escrow on this platform?

Can you tell us where on oDesk a "slab" is referenced or used?

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 4

The OP is I presume referring to the section on a job application that says estimated time of completion,  and the options are less than a week and less than a month.  While I agree a two week option would be nice it is only an estimate - it's not like you have to set aside that block (slab) of time while you wait for an answer.  Time for completion can be stated in the cover letter and discussed at interview,  so it's not really a big deal

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Ron, knock it off with the "slab" talk. You're making me hungry for steak.

In all seriousness:

S.S. Not a bad idea, and I will admint I have often thought the same thing when submitting a job and thinking to myself that this definitely won't take a month, but I don't want to say I'll do it in one week.

But as has been pointed out, not a big deal, as it's just a rough estimate and a cover letter can convey details.

I feel like I'm moving more and more into the camp of thought that says: Where things are not a big deal or can work okay for now and don't harm our ability to get work and make money, it may be better to leave well enough alone, lest things get worse.

If ODesk programmers only focused for now on the really messed up things (like algorithms which incorrectly suspend people or put them on review, or which think that Kiev is in Crimea), then I would be content.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS