cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated duration

clovershou
Clover C Member Since: Jan 2, 2016
1 of 8

Hi,  I am new here. There's something I don't quite understand when I try to submit my proposal and I would like to ask for an advice. May I know what does "Estimated duration" mean? Does it mean how long I need to finish the job? Thank you!

Best,

Clover C

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

@Clover C wrote:

Hi,  I am new here. There's something I don't quite understand when I try to submit my proposal and I would like to ask for an advice. May I know what does "Estimated duration" mean? Does it mean how long I need to finish the job? Thank you!

Best,

Clover C

Yes, it means how long you think you will take to get the work done. Often job postings do not tell you enough to say for sure, so just take an educated guess!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

Yes. That is what it means.

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

Yep. About how long do you think it will take you to complete a job. It works out okay for one-off jobs, but not so much for the jobs that state they're looking for a "long-term commitment." In cases such as that, I normally just select whatever in the drop down, and if the client asks about it, I tell them that it's just a placeholder.

Sometimes, I also mention that it's just a placeholder estimate until I've received further information about the job, specifically the jobs where the description is very vague.

View solution in original post

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 8

Clover,

Just to add to what others have written, to the best of my knowledge, there is no penalty of any kind it if takes longer to complete the job than the estimated duration you specified. It's just an estimate, so once the job starts there could be unanticipated delays that result in the job taking longer than expected.

Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 8

@John K wrote:

Clover,

Just to add to what others have written, to the best of my knowledge, there is no penalty of any kind it if takes longer to complete the job than the estimated duration you specified. It's just an estimate, so once the job starts there could be unanticipated delays that result in the job taking longer than expected.

That is, there is no known penalty from Upwork. Obviously the most accurate estimates during negotiation, updates should circumstances change, and meeting all negotiated deadlines will help ensure job success and even Job Success.

Best to all,

Michael 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

In practical terms, I have found that clients love updates about the schedule. If you are going to be late with something, let them know. For most clients, this isn't a big deal compared to the frustration they may feel if they don't know that something is running late and you don't tell them.

clovershou
Clover C Member Since: Jan 2, 2016
8 of 8

Thank you all for your replies!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS