🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Ethical issue with proposed job
Page options
jenkfreelance
Community Member

Ethical issue with proposed job

Hello,

I am quite new to Upwork and I recently applied for a proofreading job.
The client asked whether I would be willing to do a trial of the editing/proofreading and I agreed.

When the client sent me the file, the topic however was about Cannabis rebranding and I'm not sure this is something I want to be involved in.

On one hand I feel I am not responsible as I am just editing, but then on other hand i’m

not sure if it's a business I want to support.

If it was just about a University essay on Cannabis in general then it would perhaps be fine, but a business commercially selling Cannabis is not something I really support.

I am aware that Americans and Canadians are more ”open” to commercial cannabis than the country where I live, however the client was from Ukraine so I wasn’t really expecting that topic.

Can anybody offer any advice what I should do?

If I don't want to do it how should I diplomatically inform the client?

Also, am I over reacting?

Thankyou

9 REPLIES 9
versailles
Community Member

Your values, your judgment. Nobody can decide for you. One thing, however: no free work. Scamers often always use the word trial to get free work done.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks Rene.

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even consider this as a possibility.

The problem is that I have already agreed to do the trial....

If you haven't submitted, you can still respond you will do the trial for $X.  I assume there isn't a contract yet....

And if you don't have a contract you don't owe this client anything.  You can respond, "I had some time to think about this project and I don't feel I am the right fit.  Thank you for reaching out and I wish you luck"

Thanks Robin. I have taken your advice.

Jenny K wrote:

Thanks Rene.

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even consider this as a possibility.

The problem is that I have already agreed to do the trial....

Ask them to create a contract at your regular price and move on if they refuse. If you are willing to do it, that is.

Check your portfolio, it seems that you have a document containing personal info about someone. Birth certificate.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Check your portfolio, it seems that you have a document containing personal info about someone. Birth certificate.

Which isn't just unethical, but illegal.... and leaves the person whose BC it is open to all sorts of nonsense...

As far as the "job" is concerned, if you haven't been officially hired just tell the client you are not comfortable with the subject matter and withdraw your proposal.

No need for any drama.

I was just more concerned with how to word it politely, that's all.

Jenny K wrote:

I was just more concerned with how to word it politely, that's all.

"Thanks for the offer, but after reviewing the material I have decided it's not a good fit for my skills.

All the best,

Jenny"

Edited to add, just saw that Robin has already suggested a suitable wording

Thanks for noting that Rene. I will change the Birth certificate to a different example.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members