cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etiquette of closing a contract and getting feedback

Highlighted
Erica A Member Since: Jul 15, 2015
1 of 23

I'm new to UpWork, new to freelancing, and old to translating...

I thought I should start by getting good client feedback so I accepted a small fixed-rate writing job last week. It's been over a week since I turned in the deliverable. The client processed the payment right away and seemed to be happy with my work. But the contract is still marked as "active." Should I close it myself? Ask the client to close it?

Also, is it inappropriate to ask the client to provide feedback for me? It was a straight-forward job, but she called it "excellent," "great," etc. and offered me a bigger project (which I turned down, but she said she understood).

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
2 of 23

Erica,

Welcome to Upwork!

Upwork encourages its freelancers to ask for feedback.  It's not inappropriate at all to ask.

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2011/11/ask-employer-leave-feedback/

If the client closes the contract, it will ask them to leave feedback immediately.  You can close the contract, but maybe they are too busy to bother with feedback. 

Best regards,

Daniel

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 23

Erica

DO NOT close the contract yourself. Spend some time searching back through the forums about freelancers closing contracts and how it affects their job success scores.

Politely but assertively message your client and ask them to close the contract, explain how important it is that you get feedback to get your foot in the door here. if they don't reply, give it a few days and try again - but don't pester them daily.

DO NOT ask for GOOD feedback, or any number of stars. Just ask for HONEST feedback.

It sounds like your client may be one of the many who doesn't look in that often. Unfortunately on here, the onus is put in freelancers to micro-manage every aspect of a job from start to closure, and that includes chasing the client to make sure they close up properly.

Good luck with it, and hang on in there..

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
4 of 23

Should have posted this instead:

///////////////////

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2011/11/ask-employer-leave-feedback/

^^excerpt from above;

Note: You can also negotiate with your employer for a higher rating, if you think you deserve it 

///////////////

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2013/06/5-star-feedback-your-greatest-asset-in-the-virtual-workforce/

^^excerpt from above;

Ask for 5-star feedback (if you deserve it). I always ask for 5-star feedback if it is deserved. You will be surprised at how well this actually works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 23

I guess we'll agree to disagree  then, Roman - no harm in that. There's a very fine line between the kind of stuff you're suggesting, and touting for five stars. I'd be interested in what others (and especially the mods) think (and whether they all give the same answer  Man Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 23

Removed at the behest request of the OP

I guess the robots are not working anymore.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 23

Well I didnt really message them in that way but I would if they do not automatically close my contract. That is probably how I would educate them on the relevance of my feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 23

@Setu M wrote:

Also don't forget my five star rating buddy as well as marking the project successfully. Please remember to recommend me again as I put forth 10 star effort lol . It helps me out a lot since it will continue to make my profile relevant.

I guess the robots are not working anymore.

Do something like that and get caught and your account will be closed within seconds of it being caught by the robots here. Closed as in no recourse to get it back, completely kicked off the platform for good. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
9 of 23

Roman,

I think it's ok to educate clients on how the platform works. And I also think that Upwork wants us to do it, but doesn't say it loud.

But I don't agree with asking clients for 5 star ratings, 10/10 private feedback and such.

I hope nothing bad will happen to your profile but you've just listed clear evidence of breaking the rules / TOS or however it's called.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 23

I wasnt asking 10/10 feedback. I was asking them to recommend me. And what is wrong with asking clients to mark the project successfhully if it was indeed successful? 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS