cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evil Pandas

Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
1 of 4
I have always considered myself a "white hat" guy when it comes to marketing. I try to follow rules and take Google's advise on the best practices of the day. I have never worried much when they announce new measures to cut down on malicious marketing. I assumed as long as I was legitimately trying to help people find good and useful information I would be safe. Then they unleashed their evil panda. I had read a review about one of our projects and started checking into others, out of curiosity. Most of our sites rank "fairly" or about where I would think they should based on quality. One however has been eaten, simply devoured by the panda. Last time I checked it was ranking between 1 and 3 on the first page of google based on the targeted key words. Today I gave up looking after page 12. I am convinced the panda ate my website.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 4
Is this a review you wrote or a review someone else wrote about your product? If reviewers from other websites are linking to your site, that could be affecting your site. It would depend upon the quality of their site and if it could look like you paid for the review.
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
3 of 4
I think you misread "projects" and thought that I said a "product" review. It was a review that a professional marketing strategist gave me based on a plan that I had for an existing eMagazine project. After reading her review I went out to check on a few of my URLs and one in particular was hit hard. It was a teensy little website that used to rank well for certain search terms and send great leads to our actual store. Now it must be remade, or abandoned because the way it currently exists it will never be found again. To google, it looks like a manufacturer created an informative web site for the sole purpose of linking visitors back to a store. In this case, that is exactly what I had done, but at the time I did it Google loved it, the visitors loved it and my bottom line loved it. Rules change and so must your plays.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 4
At least be happy that it is your own website linking to your own website. You aren't in the position, that many are, of having to ask other website owners remove a link to your site and having to hear them tell you they will charge you for that.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS