🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Excess Disputed Projects
Page options
reach_usama
Community Member

Excess Disputed Projects

Hi,

I am not much of a experienced freelancer on Upwork. 

I have done several projects and i am about to get my JSS. I am worried whether i would get a poor JSS  or not becasue of the reason as follow.

The problem is that my first project went into dispute; as the client tried to escape after having code and other files. Now, another client is almost doing the same. I was doing her work and showing her my progress by time to time being a good freelancer. When i have done about 60% work, she suddenly said that she doesn't need the work anymore. I asked her to pay atleast 50% for my work. She started blackmailing me ;to give a bad review and reporting the account. Suddenly, she ended up blocking me. She has no previous work history on Upwork. 

Now, if i dispute the project, would it affect my JSS ? It is entirely wrong with me as i have done alot of work, with dedication.

Please feel free to give me  valid and authentic guidance.

Best,

Usama S.

13 REPLIES 13
deskin-hans
Community Member

No disputing it would not affect your JSS. You should contact support as soon as possible and make the situation clear to them. She is clearly in violation of the Upwork rules so even  if she does leave a bad review Upwork support will probably take it down. Also you typically don't receive a JSS until you've reached 3-5 jobs.

Hans D wrote:

No disputing it would not affect your JSS. You should contact support as soon as possible and make the situation clear to them. She is clearly in violation of the Upwork rules so even  if she does leave a bad review Upwork support will probably take it down. Also you typically don't receive a JSS until you've reached 3-5 jobs.

I'd like to meet the lucky freelancer who had a dispute and it didn't affect their JSS. CS will do nothing except tell him to dispute and work with a mediator. No, he will not be able to take it down.

Good lord, bad advice all around.

Hans D wrote:

Hans,

It's nice that you want to help, but this isn't the only incorrect answer I've seen you posting. I suggest that until you understand how everything works on this site concerning freelancers, clients and contractors, you refrain from giving wrong information that could steer someone in the wrong direction.

lysis10
Community Member

Yes it will affect your JSS. All contracts affect your JSS. Likely, it will end poorly because the client is obviously not happy. Just be happy that they are forced to rate you BEFORE you trigger a dispute. Elance was the total opposite and they rated you AFTER the dispute, which meant you were getting 1 start no matter what.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

The client had ended the project. So i guess she wont be able to give a review.

Best,

Usama S wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

The client had ended the project. So i guess she wont be able to give a review.

Best,

No, if she was angry when she closed the contract, then she gave you bad feedback. Closing the contract forces the client to leave feedback. 

If she has given a poor feedback. So i guess, i should dispute it and return her the favour.

Usama S wrote:
If she has given a poor feedback. So i guess, i should dispute it and return her the favour.

If she closed the contract and there was escrow, then you are sent an email to either dispute the amount or give the client a refund. If there is no escrow, there is nothing to dispute.

There is amount is escrow.

Usama S wrote:
There is amount is escrow.

ok, well, it is entirely your call if you want to dispute. The client already gave you feedback. I suggest you understand the way mediation works and then if mediation fails and you haven't agreed to something, the next step is arbitration.

If this is for some dumb amount like $10, I guess Upwork will just pay it out anyway.

a_lipsey
Community Member

I know it doesn't help right this minute, but if this is a recurring issue, then I would suggest you read more about how to properly vet clients before accepting a contract and setting up appropriate milestones so you don't get scammed AND hit with a knock to your JSS.

Good luck!

lysis10
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

I know it doesn't help right this minute, but if this is a recurring issue, then I would suggest you read more about how to properly vet clients before accepting a contract and setting up appropriate milestones so you don't get scammed AND hit with a knock to your JSS.

Good luck!

I'm genuinely curious how many times Upwork will pay out bad contracts for low amounts before booting the freelancer.

7bd0d548
Community Member

Usama S wrote:

Hi,

Now, if i dispute the project, would it affect my JSS ? It is entirely wrong with me as i have done alot of work, with dedication.

No it won't, that is why so many freelancers has utterly abused me through this platform.

I kept getting disputes, because I could not have known that the hired freelancers had poor skill, did not delivered what I asked for, etc. In fact, their work became useless. That did not stopped there, in fact, upwork flagged my account for it for hiring so many freelancers and then many of those freelancers disputed me because they were playing dishonest despite the fact I have always been playing honest. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members