Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive Connects and Unresponsive Clients

Ace Contributor
Ayan B Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
1 of 30

Hello Everyone,

Hope all are fine and doing well too. I just want to share 2 point and Upwork will look on these.

Point 1. We are freelancers, Already paying 20% to Upwork until we earn $500, Then its 10%. Its not easy to earn $10,000 from a Client, So, I dont mention about 5% Upwork fees here. After that Freelancers are paying $2 per withdrawl. Now, We have to buy connects and each connect is $0.15. Is it not expensive? If its price $0.10 per connect, then I hope it will be at least reasonable. If I do math correctly then $0.90 for a big budget job. Is it not expensive?

Point 2. This is very big problem when we will spend connects to applying job, After that no response or activity from Client's end. So, We will simply loose the connects and money too. Hope, I am right.

Solution A - If a Client posts job then there should be a timeline. Such as if he does not start the job within 2 weeks then Job posting will be auto cancel and we will get back our connects.

Solution B - When any client post the job then he should to choose a deadtime of starting that project. If timeline fails then job will be auto cancel and we will get back our connects.

Now each connect is value our money. Hope, Upwork will take care about this Smiley Happy

Community Leader
Mateo R. S Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
2 of 30

I think they are more interested on clients rather than freelancers, and that´s good, they have enough freelancers, and many many many of them are unproductive and only causing  maintenance cost of some sort, they have said many times that low cost jobs at the end are way more expensive to maintain. So they are foncing us to be either EXTRA selective on our choices so that only people who are certain to get the job bid, or forcing us to upgrade freelancer membership.

But i think mainly the main interest here is to keep clients happy, they bring the money... i guess.

I know it´s a lot of money to spend here... but still this platform gets you clients you otherwise wouldn´t be able to get... so... either is leaving here with no money... or stay happily and earn some extra bucks. Or make a living too.

Teja B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
3 of 30

Provision of clients in Upwork should not make them arrogant. They should be more responsible. Why can't they severe on unresponsive clients and those who disappear after making freelancers work hard for them? Upwork will disintegrate soon.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 30
I hate how I can't quote on this Kindle...Teja, it's not about fair or unfair. Freelancers are sellers. Clients are buyers. Sellers **always** have to court buyers. It's a lot easier to say "hey, want to take this money?" than "hey, want to give me some money?" This is true of any buyer/seller relationship I've ever heard of or been involved in. Of course things are harder for sellers and pickier/more choosy for buyers.

You buy stuff. Do you want to walk into a store and hear "Okay, you have X minutes to buy something or you have to get out because now you're costing us in electricity and in employees' salaries without giving us that money back"?
Larry L Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
5 of 30

Mateo,

I must say I never thought about the cost from this perspective.  Thank you for sharing your insight and opinion.  It makes sense that it is costing them to maintain these weaker profiles.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 30

Ayan,

The monthly cost of connects per job won is not $0.15 x the number of connects used to propose to those jobs you win.

Your monthly cost of connects is $0.15 X the number of connects you spend sending proposals to all potential jobs divided by the number of jobs won.

If you spend 4 connects applying to 10 jobs and you win one job out of every 10 you submit proposals to, you spend $6.00 for the connects needed to win each job (4 X 10 connects X $0.15).

Teja B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
7 of 30

As if that makes it fair for freelancers! 

Larry L Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
8 of 30

Will,

Don't forget the 20% that Upwork takes as well.

Community Leader
Melinda M Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
9 of 30

This has not happened to me. I have spent A LOT of money in the last two months on connects and not getting any jobs from applying. I'm coming out in the negative here but I can't stop applying to jobs. So when clients do not respond to jobs posted 14 days ago, it cost me money for that connect. 

Rajib M Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
10 of 30
Yes, you are right.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS