cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive Connects and Unresponsive Clients

Community Leader
Lester B Member Since: Sep 22, 2018
21 of 30

For me, its becoming investors portal instead of job hunting portal. those who only benefits are the higher officials. clearly not fair for new freelancers or those on mid edge. Why would I risk my last money over a job post where probably chances of getting hired is too low. they really must consider freelancers who come here for job seeking. start up their life and develop their passion.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 30

Lester B wrote:

For me, its becoming investors portal instead of job hunting portal. those who only benefits are the higher officials. clearly not fair for new freelancers or those on mid edge. Why would I risk my last money over a job post where probably chances of getting hired is too low. they really must consider freelancers who come here for job seeking. start up their life and develop their passion.

If your JSS is in the 60's and you don't know why then you shouldn't be bidding. You should be determining what skills can execute professionally and well. Yes, in the past, Upwork was a place where you could get started as a freelancer and "develop" your passion. That is no longer true. You must already have solid skills and be able to deliver with excellence for every client every time. If you cannot do that yet, then purchasing connects is a bad idea. 

Once your JSS slips below 50% it will no longer be visible to clients. Try other freelance platforms or work with clients you find on your own to develop your skills while you wait for that drop to occur. Then, you can try again on Upwork. Your past client's reviews will still be visible, though. 

For freelancer new to the platform, this is a cautionary tale. You can no longer risk faking it to make it on Upwork because those reviews stay with you and you have real $ to lose by sending applications just to 'give it a try'/ 

Community Leader
Lester B Member Since: Sep 22, 2018
23 of 30

How can i increase this if no one wants to accept me though ? my clients been to shaddy... i want to send screenshots here to validate that I keep out on reaching them and they are the ones who do not respond and yet they give me a very low review ...

Karolis S Member Since: Jun 11, 2019
24 of 30

Its very hard once your reputation is tarnished and visible to others. + there is a huge risk to mess it up if job is valued a lot more than your other projects. As it can send your JSS down the drain. 

Ace Contributor
Kristen B Member Since: May 20, 2009
25 of 30

Upwork is so expensive now to bid for a job that they have almost priced me out. I've been a freelancer for over 10 years on this platform and this is way too expensive, especially for the low-ball payouts some of these clients offer. I've been having to work Uber just to make ends meet. Don't get too greedy Upwork!!n Please Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
26 of 30

Kristen,

We don't know what the annual spectrum of projects on Upwork looks like (how many $50 projects? how many $250 projects? how many $1,000 projects? etc.), but I think we can assume Upwork nets very little income from $50 projects if they, generally speaking, involve lower quality freelancers and lower quality clients who tend to require a lot of support, fraud and other resources.

Upwork loses money year after year. In order to turn that around, I expect Upwork will become a less and less welcoming platform for the very low end of freelancing projects. Raising fees is one way for Upwork to get rid of both the projects and the freelancers who work on them. 

That's a harsh reality for those clients and freelancers who work at the very low end, but it is reality.

Ace Contributor
Kristen B Member Since: May 20, 2009
27 of 30

Yes I suspect that this is Upwork's way of weeding out people who are not as serious. And keeping more quality freelancers and clients

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
28 of 30

Will L wrote:

Kristen,

We don't know what the annual spectrum of projects on Upwork looks like (how many $50 projects? how many $250 projects? how many $1,000 projects? etc.), but I think we can assume Upwork nets very little income from $50 projects if they, generally speaking, involve lower quality freelancers and lower quality clients who tend to require a lot of support, fraud and other resources.

Upwork loses money year after year. In order to turn that around, I expect Upwork will become a less and less welcoming platform for the very low end of freelancing projects. Raising fees is one way for Upwork to get rid of both the projects and the freelancers who work on them. 

That's a harsh reality for those clients and freelancers who work at the very low end, but it is reality.

Hi Will,

I agree with all of that, but if the changes do mean that those freelancers you refer to will be lost to the site, surely, they will just be replaced by others who are new to it and end up in the same category....and so it goes on? I don't have an answer, unless there is some way of implementing a stricter and more selective process for those wishing to join the site as freelancers.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 30

Kristen B wrote:

Upwork is so expensive now to bid for a job that they have almost priced me out. I've been a freelancer for over 10 years on this platform and this is way too expensive, especially for the low-ball payouts some of these clients offer. I've been having to work Uber just to make ends meet. Don't get too greedy Upwork!!n Please Smiley Happy

Kristen,I think you should up your rates to at least $40 per hour. At $15.00 I'm not surprised you are 

priced out. Your clients must be thrilled to bits that they have a good writer for virtually nothing... 

I think you should revamp your pricing and factor in all Upwork's additional costs into your offer You will not lose clients, I think it is more than likely you will find more. 

Community Leader
Melinda M Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
30 of 30

I'm in total agreement with you! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS