Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Experience Level affects Profile Views

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
1 of 15

I have been messaging with the Help Center about why I'm not showing in search results for my profile criteria. Now, I understand completely that my rankings in the search results may fall due to my low JS score. What I didn't know is that I won't show at all if a buyer searches for my level of experience, and I have a low JS score.

 

Example:

Provider title: Adwords Certified Paid Search

 

Experience Level (set by provider, me): Expert (I'm trained, certified by Google, and have well over 12 years of experience here and with independent clients and agencies)

 

Provider location (set by provider & UpWork): United States (North America)

 

Number of UpWork Hours (determined by UpWork & provider based on hours billed to the system): 1,724

 

Criteria used for test search:

Keyword: Adwords Certified

Experience Level: Expert

Location: North America

Number of UpWork Hours worked: Over 1000

 

Not only did I NOT show in ANY of the search results, I have been informed it's due to the system excluding me due to the system not acknowledging my experience level at "expert" due to my Job Success score. 

 

I was advised by the Help Center that if I leave the "experience" field blank, I show in the search results. This is true, I did another test. 

 

4 Questions:

 

1) If I set my own 'experience level' based on my skills, certifications and training, and my years of direct experience, why can the system demote me (delete me) in search for having a low JS score? And, how does this work?

 

2) How/Why does JS score affect my experience level, if I can set this myself?

 

3) If JS score and experince level are connected in this manner, why is it clear when I set the 'experience level' that it more has to do with my hourly rate? (as apparent in the level itself: $,$$,$$$)

 

4) If I'm not allowed to show in search results for the criteria which I do clearly qualify for, then how am I to land new projects that can help me raise my JS score?

 

Is there anyone who has clear and direct answers to these questions?

 

I'm not looking for sympathy or commentary on how awful UpWork is, I just want to know how these items are related, how they are related and any possible solutions to the issue.

 

Thanks in advance for understanding and providing helpful advice!

Gwen

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
2 of 15

Also, if you are experiencing low profile views I highly recommend doing a search for yourself in the system. You may be surprised at what you find.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
3 of 15

I was able to find you easily using the freelancer search function.  Just not for your criteria.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 15

@Daniel C wrote:

I was able to find you easily using the freelancer search function.  Just not for your criteria.


@Gwen E wrote:

Also, if you are experiencing low profile views I highly recommend doing a search for yourself in the system. You may be surprised at what you find.


 The search function has been malfunctioning since May 5. We have been asking for it to be fixed but with the elance move I don't see it being fixed until all elance requests are taken care of.

 

We do occassionaly do a push to get search fixed but ..... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
5 of 15

Woah!  I searched for "PHP Developer" using 4.5+ Stars, Expert, North America, 1,000+ hours and I came up on the first page.  I also came up first page for a few other searched.  I am suprised actaully.

 

You only got a 59% on the Google Adwords test.  That's barely above average.  Maybe you need to get a better score?

 

Also what do your stats look like?  Maybe they want to promote people who are more likely to turn a hot lead into a sale?

 

I usually get an offer, or am hired if I apply to a job.  Sometimes after talking to them, I end up declining the job.  My JS score is not particularly high (83%).

 

My Stats new.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 15

@Daniel C wrote:

 

Also what do your stats look like?  Maybe they want to promote people who are more likely to turn a hot lead into a sale?

 

 


 

I kinda wondered if this was a factor too. I suppose it would make sense since you want to give the sellers your leads.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
7 of 15

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Daniel C wrote:

 

Also what do your stats look like?  Maybe they want to promote people who are more likely to turn a hot lead into a sale?

 

 


 

I kinda wondered if this was a factor too. I suppose it would make sense since you want to give the sellers your leads.


Jennifer,

 

I would think all of the stats are weighted in the search results.  The JS score is probably not weighted extremely high like one may assume.  Doing a generic search doesn't just show a bunch of "Top Rated" people first.

 

My guess is that I show up more frequently because, according to my stats, I will likely turn them into a customer.  I use very few connects. 

 

Also, I usually convince the client to spend a lot; while the other developers would have not generated as much in fees for Upwork.

 

Their old search was really simple.  At some point, I had to cripple my profile to reduce the number of invites.  It was easy to change around my profile and show up on the first page for whatever key phrase that I wanted.

 

One thing that I noticed, that isn't very obvious, is that the titles and descriptions in your work history are weighted heavily.  You can claim anything that you want but it needs to be backed up by work.  I have mentioned profile dilution in the past but the other freelancers don't take kindly to my suggestions.  Personally, I won't work a job unless it's highly related to my goals.  I mean, I could be working on more WordPress jobs but I don't want WordPress jobs so I do my best to avoid them as much as possible.  I try to keep my niches in as many of the past projects as possible.

 

Right now my profile is intentionally crippled.  I did a search one time and noticed that hundreds of freelancers had copied my description word-for-word.  So it's in part sabotage against those who want to copy me.  LOL.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 15

Daniel, I agree with you. I did notice that title phrases seem to play a big factor here. I've changed mine around a bit and might do it again. I realize Elance and JS scores aren't the same, but Upwork seems to adopt a lot of Elance stuff and Elance levels never mattered. I always sat in the top 3 of their technical writers and my level was never that high. However, I can sell well and if the job seems legit, I can usually at least get a reply from the lead.

 

Activity is another big one, IMO. Why throw you leads if you don't work or bid? I guess it makes sense.

 

One day, I decided to order writers on Elance by hourly rate. A majority with ridiculously high delusional rates copy pasted the profile of the top rated writer on Elance. It's pathetic.

 

Since I've been on the buying side, people who copy their profile can't bid to save their lives, so they aren't really your competition. lol

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
9 of 15

Daniel,

 

I appreciate the crtique of my profile, I really do. But I studied for the Google test for almost 30 days, passed and re-certified, for the 3rd year. While I do understand the value of the UpWork tests, I also know the weighting of these scores is based on innacurate data (as in, lots of folks taking and passing these tests in under 5 minutes). If the scores were based on real data, not weighted, I'd be more than happy to re-test. And, just to point out, my clients historically test me directly with sample work or technical questions, which I'm more than happy to provide as proof that I know what I'm doing.

 

With that said, I'm more interested in how the actual search algorithm is (or is not) functioning. Had you searched for yourself and found you weren't showing for the basic criteria of your profile, I'm more than confident you would be questioning it too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
10 of 15

@Gwen E wrote:

Daniel,

 

I appreciate the crtique of my profile, I really do. But I studied for the Google test for almost 30 days, passed and re-certified, for the 3rd year. While I do understand the value of the UpWork tests, I also know the weighting of these scores is based on innacurate data (as in, lots of folks taking and passing these tests in under 5 minutes). If the scores were based on real data, not weighted, I'd be more than happy to re-test. And, just to point out, my clients historically test me directly with sample work or technical questions, which I'm more than happy to provide as proof that I know what I'm doing.

 

With that said, I'm more interested in how the actual search algorithm is (or is not) functioning. Had you searched for yourself and found you weren't showing for the basic criteria of your profile, I'm more than confident you would be questioning it too.


Gwen,

 

Having a above average score does not make someone an expert.  If it is relevant in the search results, then that would be a problem.

 

Also, the search results are OBVIOUSLY broken.  It doesn't mean that if they do fix it, you will show up in the results.  It might be something that they are trying to do to only show those who are HIGHLY relevant to the search criteria.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS