Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced Suggestions and Comments

Highlighted
Md. Nazmul H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1 of 6

Hello,

Although I do not know whether it was right. However, on my profile Experienced suggestions and comments solicited.

If I am wrong, sorry.

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
2 of 6

I don't understand the question. Are you wanting feedback on your profile?

Highlighted
3 of 6

Hi Lyam,

I'm sorry you could not understand my question.

Yes, like you, from experience, I wanted feedback about my profile.

Thank you very much.

Nazmul

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

Yeah, okay, Md. is looking for feedback on his profile. There is a lot useful information in the oDesk Help section and in other threads, but I'll give you a couple pointers here.

Your photo isn't bad, but it could be better. I would rather see you smile. I think you'd look more like somebody I would want to hire if you were smiling, at least a little bit.

You've posted some useful skills. But I want to see PORTFOLIO pieces!

Your first-listed skills are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Excel. Show us some of the work YOU did.

Study these programs. Read their manuals. Re-read their manuals. Go through every menu option and every tool box control. Learn these programs.

Then take some skills tests to demonstrate how well you know them.

Your profile doesn't have skills tests for most of these and it doesn't have any portfolio pieces. You need them.

Most of all, you probably need to focus on Microsoft Excel and Office, which I see you have taken some skill tests for.

I know you're better at using Excel and Office than you are at using Illustrator and Photoshop, and you're probably more likely to get jobs using Excel and Office. There are lots of great visual artists with impressive Illustrator and Photoshop portfolios. If you don't have impressive work to post, those probably aren't your best bets for getting work.

Your Excel and Office skill tests are a good first step. Work on improving your scores each month. But also post portfolio pieces. You'll need to think up projects and create them on your own. Create projects that display advanced skills and techniques, and look visually interesting and unique. Do not only post projects that you did for hire. Post portfolio pieces that you did for free, specifically for your oDesk profile, to show off your skills.

And have somebody else re-write your profile text. Your English proficiency isn't the most important thing if you're offering skills in visual arts and visual design, but you still want potential clients to think you are proficient with English.

It's just a few paragraphs. Find a native English speaker (foreign exchange students, tourists, friends you meet online) and have them re-write your profile text. They can keep your basic ideas, but write it in a way that sounds like it was written by a native English speaker. There's no way you're ready to do this yourself. Your English skills are not yet adequate.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 6

Hi Preston,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

Yes, my English weakness has always hurt me.

Regards,

Nazmul

Highlighted
Marcia V Member Since: Jan 9, 2015
6 of 6

Hello All,

I have a new question for experienced community members. I have been shopping around my resume and portfolio for graphic design. My question is what is a good fee schedual for flyers. web banners, photo minipulation, logo desgin?

At the moment I have an add on a popular community website advertising for free/low pay work to build my portfolio. At some point soon I will need to charge for my services, no one wants to work for free. I welcome advice and input.

Thank You,

Marcia

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS