cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert Freelancers Posting Extremely Low Hourly Rates?

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
1 of 6

Well, I was responding to another post on the forum and it got deleted probably because of a title that was unfortunately in bad taste for this forum.

But the subject was the extremely low hourly rates offered by some freelancers with "Expert" credentials on their Profiles.

I have seen freelancers bill just around $10 an hour with credentials matching US Experts with similar credentials.  The $10 an hour rate is around 5-20% of the hourly rate charged by US freelancers. 

Yes, they are in Asia.

I understand that Upwork is an international service but something doesn't make sense.  If a freelancer had the experience and effort to get similar credentialed, why would they charge so little?

Where I could check the validity of the credentials on theirProfile, I did and they are real.

Perhaps, some of these low rate freelancers just offload the task to an associate not possessing the credentials being advertised.

A poster to the delete post suggested that Upworks consider a minimum rate for each category: New Entrant, Intermediate and Expert.

I believe if that were done, the client, the freelancers and Upworks would all gain in quality and earnings.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

@Joseph C wrote:

A poster to the delete post suggested that Upworks consider a minimum rate for each category: New Entrant, Intermediate and Expert.

I believe if that were done, the client, the freelancers and Upworks would all gain in quality and earnings.

Joe

Maybe, maybe not. There are freelancers who work for substantially less than their published rate. A minimum rate for the 'Expert' category might simply lead to numerous freelancers 'padding' their stated rate, so to speak.

Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 6

@Joseph C wrote:

....I have seen freelancers bill just around $10 an hour with credentials matching US Experts with similar credentials.  The $10 an hour rate is around 5-20% of the hourly rate charged by US freelancers.... 

Joe,

I recognize that you are trying to be objective and factual in raising this issue. In that spirit, I'll repeat the point that US contractors also provide some of Upwork's cheapest rates. It is astonishing how little some providers value their time, let alone their professed expertise.

Best,

Michael

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 6

At the end of the day I absolutely never concern myself with this issue as I know things will work themselves out.  First, this is a free market meaning people are free to charge what they feel appropriate.  If they give a screaming deal, then lucky client.  If not, clients not well versed in evaluating talent, will learn sooner rather than later that there is "no free lunch".  Either way it shouldn't be your problem.  In the first case, you charge what you feel appropriate for you.  One person cannot take on all assignments on this site, so if one person is offering a screaming deal, they won't have time to get everyone's businesses.  Most likely they will also increase their rates at one point in time.  In the latter case, just wait for the more mature client or the client that needs your help in recovering from a bad freelancer.  Believe me, there is business to be had there. 

In summary, it is a free market and not caring what someone else is offering but doing what I feel has been best, has worked out for me.  Fretting about things you cannot control is a waste of time.  Do good work and be a great communicator and there will be an audience for your talents. 

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
5 of 6

Scott,

I appreciate your advice and concur.

But I have to share this which just occurred:

No new jobs on my Job Feed for over 2 hours.

Finally a new job asking for a freelancer with my accreditation!!

Noted one other bidder - similar accreditation.

His Rate - $8.00 an hour!!  :>)

And he says he is now in the USA.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 6

Joseph,

My advise is stop looking at what other freelancers are charging. I am more concerned on the rate the client has paid in the past and that is not always a given.

I have a client now that when I started 3 years ago with him he paid me more then he had ever paid someone to do Customer service. I now have been with him 3 years plus. I bid on the job because I was a perfect fit for what he was looking for.

If someone doesn't want to pay your rate then move on to the next job. You are in an area that there aren't as many jobs and there are going to be those that want to pay less. They will either be happy with what they got or they will come to you next time,

There are other ways of marketing oneself online. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I have two clients off of Upwork and do very  well marketing myself off of Upwork,

Apply for jobs, ignore what others are bidding and if you don't get the job move on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS