🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Expert vetted but no longer top rated?
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Expert vetted but no longer top rated?

So... I just got my brand new Expert Vetted badge - thank you for that, Upwork, it somewhat makes up for the sting of not qualifying for Top Rated Plus (though not entirely). BUT, now my top rated badge is gone. I thought that the new badge would be in addition to the old badge, not replace it? Does this mean that I'll no longer show up in searches when clients are looking for top-rated freelancers? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christine A wrote:
If a client who's on the Enterprise or Business plan does a search for top rated freelancers, can you clarify whether or not my profile will be visible to them? 

Christine, yes! Your profile comes up in search when a client on Enterprise or Business Membership searches for Top Rated freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
petra_r
Community Member

Christine A wrote:

So... I just got my brand new Expert Vetted badge - thank you for that, Upwork, it somewhat makes up for the sting of not qualifying for Top Rated Plus (though not entirely). BUT, now my top rated badge is gone. I thought that the new badge would be in addition to the old badge, not replace it? Does this mean that I'll no longer show up in searches when clients are looking for top-rated freelancers? 

Chances are they just broke it.

SURELY they wouldn't take away the top-rated badge for people who are both top-rated AND expert vetted...

Congrats by the way 🙂

m_terrazas
Community Member

I think it should be an added badge.
You are TR and you are also EV.
Or you are TR+ and also EV.
They are two different things.

Maria T wrote:

I think it should be an added badge.
You are TR and you are also EV.
Or you are TR+ and also EV.
They are two different things.

I wish to be ALL the things. 😉 

But I could see why it would be silly to be both top-rated and top-rated plus. That's a different thing.

This is how you show to my client account

Christine.png

Petra R wrote:

Christine.png

That's weird - I just asked a fellow freelancer to check, and they said they could see the badge. Is it visible from your freelancer account? 

I see just the expert vetted from my freelancer account.

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Christine.png

That's weird - I just asked a fellow freelancer to check, and they said they could see the badge. Is it visible from your freelancer account? 

visible from my freelancer account

and congratulations!!!

From freelance account.

Screenshot (3).png

Maria T wrote:

From freelance account.

Screenshot (3).png

So freelancers can see it, but not clients? Petra, did you refresh your browser? 😄 😄

So freelancers can see it, but not clients? Petra, did you refresh your browser? 😄 😄

Maybe she should delete her cookies and try another browser Smiley LOL

Christine A wrote:

Maria T wrote:

From freelance account.

Screenshot (3).png

It shows as top rated on my client account as well. 

Jamie F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Maria T wrote:

From freelance account.

Screenshot (3).png

It shows as top rated on my client account as well. 

I see it as expert vetted from my freelancer account, and top rated from my client account.

So basically, totally messed up. Utterly useless badge as it only shows to freelancers. Who are not the ones doing searches or hiring.

Major fail, once again, rolling out nonsense that wasn't properly tested.

Honestly, I just give up.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Seriously, Upwork...

Can't you just do some very basic, very simple, very elementary tests and checks before you make such major changes?

How beeping hard can it be?

Petra R wrote:

I see it as expert vetted from my freelancer account, and top rated from my client account.

So basically, totally messed up. Utterly useless badge as it only shows to freelancers. Who are not the ones doing searches or hiring.

Major fail, once again, rolling out nonsense that wasn't properly tested.

Honestly, I just give up.

The sheer level of complete and utter incompetence is nothing short of breathtaking.

Seriously, Upwork...

Can't you just do some very basic, very simple, very elementary tests and checks before you make such major changes?

How beeping hard can it be?

Yes, that seems to be the size of it - you're showing as "Top Rated Plus" from my freelancer account, but only "Top Rated" from my client account.

Christine A wrote:

Yes, that seems to be the size of it - you're showing as "Top Rated Plus" from my freelancer account, but only "Top Rated" from my client account.

Great, isn't it?

"Upwork! Breaking Freelance Careers, One Stupid New "Feature" At a Time"

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Great, isn't it?

"Upwork! Breaking Freelance Careers, One Stupid New "Feature" At a Time"

Frankly, I don't want to lose my top-rated badge, so I'm happy for this feature to remain hidden until I can get some reassurance about that. 

Congratulations!

Here's the Upwork explanation:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 6.57.38 AM.png

Scott L wrote:

Congratulations!

Here's the Upwork explanation:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 6.57.38 AM.png

Can I presume from this chart that if you are both Expert Vetted and Top Rated Plus that "Plus Clients" see the Top Rated Plus badge? Additionally, they are the only one's who will see that badge? Checking my status page shows both badges but my profile only shows Expert Vetted. Overall this is far more confusing than it should be. I agree with the other voices that have said both the Expert Vetted and Top Rated Plus / Top Rated should be visible to anyone who can see Expert Vetted. It would seem logical to display those seeing as how they aren't the same thing meaning they require different accomplishments to achieve. 

I also realized yesterday that the top-rated plus badge in my profile is visible only to me. When my client looked me up she saw top-rated badge only.I'm TP+ for 2-3 weeks now.

I don't know what is the fun in showing this badge only to me.: smiley very-happy:

Hi Subhashini,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I checked your profile from a client account and the Top Rated Plus badge is showing both on your profile and in the search. Could you please ask your client to try clearing their cache and cookies or using a different browser? If the problem persists, please send me a private message with more information along with the screenshot so that I can take a look.

Edited to add: in order to see the Top Rated Plus badge you must have an Upwork Enterprise, Business, or Plus membership.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

I checked your profile from a client account

An ENTERPRISE client account....

Aleksandar D wrote:

Could you please ask your client to try clearing their cache and cookies or using a different browser?

Alexander, NO amount of murdering cookies and clearing the cache (which BOTH have a purpose) will make normal clients see the top rated plus badge, which is by design shown ONLY to Enterprise and Business clients (as well as freelancers, confusingly...).

Normal clients cannot see it. It's working as (confusingly) designed.

No killing cookiesNo killing cookies

Hello Petra,

Thank you for following up.

To clarify, in order to see the Top Rated Plus badge you must have an Upwork Enterprise, Business, or Plus membership, for now. Eventually, the badge will become visible to clients on a Basic plan as well.

Subhashini, I apologize for the confusion. Your Top-Rated Plus Badge is already visible to all clients that are on a specific plan as stated above.

Thank you.
~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Congrats Christine. I reckon that may a badge that is genuinely exclusive. 

Surely they'd make sure to include all expert-vetted freelancers in with searches for top-rated freelancers.

Right? 

Jamie F wrote:

Congrats Christine. I reckon that may a badge that is genuinely exclusive. 

Surely they'd make sure to include all expert-vetted freelancers in with searches for top-rated freelancers.

Right? 

I hope so, but I'd like to hear it from Upwork. 🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christine and others,

To clarify, by design Expert-Vetted and Top Rated Plus badges will show to clients on Enterprise and Business plans. Starting today they will also show when the freelancer views their own profile and when other freelancers view their profile. Clients on Upwork Plus and Basic plans will not see Expert-Vetted and Top Rated Plus badges but will still see Top Rated badges as before.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have a similar problem. The "Expert-Vetted" badge replaced my "Top Rated" badge which had taken quite some effort to earn. I contacted the support and they said I'm both Top Rated Plus and Expert-Vetted but only the "Expert-Vetted" badge will be visible in such cases. I think it would be great if both of them were visible. Thanks!

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christine and others,

To clarify, by design Expert-Vetted and Top Rated Plus badges will show to clients on Enterprise and Business plans. Starting today they will also show when the freelancer views their own profile and when other freelancers view their profile. Clients on Upwork Plus and Basic plans will not see Expert-Vetted and Top Rated Plus badges but will still see Top Rated badges as before.

Right...

How nuts is that?

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christine and others,

Valeria: I think the concern here is that the expert-vetted badge seems to have replaced her top-rated badge, at least in the freelancer view.

Wes C wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christine and others,

Valeria: I think the concern here is that the expert-vetted badge seems to have replaced her top-rated badge, at least in the freelancer view.

Yes. Thank you. Will I still show up if a client (Enterprise or not) does a search for top-rated freelancers? 

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christine and others,

So this is about making clients pay extra in order to access "top talent"? Okay, I can understand that. But I'm still worried about losing my top rated badge. If a client who's on the Enterprise or Business plan does a search for top rated freelancers, can you clarify whether or not my profile will be visible to them? 

Christine A wrote:
If a client who's on the Enterprise or Business plan does a search for top rated freelancers, can you clarify whether or not my profile will be visible to them? 

Christine, yes! Your profile comes up in search when a client on Enterprise or Business Membership searches for Top Rated freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Both badges should show up for those who can see Vetted and Top Rated Plus. Sure you may come up in those searches, but if everyone else has Top Rated (or Top Rated Plus) and I have Expert Vetted, I (as a client) would be more interested in Top Rated/ Plus.

It shouldn't be a replacement. They should both show.

If I ever get the email to be vetted, I will definitely pass on that option unless this policy has changed.

David G wrote:

Both badges should show up for those who can see Vetted and Top Rated Plus. Sure you may come up in those searches, but if everyone else has Top Rated (or Top Rated Plus) and I have Expert Vetted, I (as a client) would be more interested in Top Rated/ Plus.

It shouldn't be a replacement. They should both show.

If I ever get the email to be vetted, I will definitely pass on that option unless this policy has changed.

Valeria, thanks for the clarification and reassurance. But I agree with David - it would be good if Upwork could reconsider, and show both badges. Clients are familiar with what "top-rated" means; they may not think that "expert vetted" carries the same weight.

lysis10
Community Member

Christine A wrote:

Not that it answers your question, but I would bet expert vetted is better eye candy for clients than top rated plus. They have no idea what top rated means so plus probably blows their mind. Expert vetted seems pretty straightforward.

Jennifer M wrote:

Not that it answers your question, but I would bet expert vetted is better eye candy for clients than top rated plus. They have no idea what top rated means so plus probably blows their mind. Expert vetted seems pretty straightforward.

IDK, "expert vetted" might sound like you're someone who just passed the minimum requirements. I think it was Phyllis who pointed out that it really ought to be called "vetted expert" instead, then it means that YOU'RE an expert, instead just having been vetted BY experts. Whereas "top rated" sounds like you're better than the rest of the plebs, and "top rated plus" really sounds like king of the castle. Anyway, since I got the badge my invitations have completely dried up, so it's not having the intended effect so far (not that August is ever the greatest time to get new clients, mind you). 

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

IDK, "expert vetted" might sound like you're someone who just passed the minimum requirements. I think it was Phyllis who pointed out that it really ought to be called "vetted expert" instead, then it means that YOU'RE an expert, instead just having been vetted BY experts. Whereas "top rated" sounds like you're better than the rest of the plebs, and "top rated plus" really sounds like king of the castle. Anyway, since I got the badge my invitations have completely dried up, so it's not having the intended effect so far (not that August is ever the greatest time to get new clients, mind you). 

August is usually terrible for me too. I hope you get the TR badge back. I would have thought that the expert badge would be so much better. Phyllis has a good point with the wording.

If you look at table this may came obvious( there is no need for any of things top rated have not the raising talent 100% complete profile) . Came from street past test "Expert" .... NiceScreenshot_2020-08-30 Upwork's Talent Badges.png

Slavko A wrote:

If you look at table this may came obvious( there is no need for any of things top rated have not the raising talent 100% complete profile) . Came from street past test "Expert" .... NiceScreenshot_2020-08-30 Upwork's Talent Badges.png

LOL - I can assure you that I didn't just "come from the street and pass a test"; I have all of the requirements on that list. Where did you get this chart? Upwork, I hope that this isn't what you've been showing clients?!!

Christine A wrote:

Slavko A wrote:

LOL - I can assure you that I didn't just "come from the street and pass a test"; I have all of the requirements on that list. Where did you get this chart? Upwork, I hope that this isn't what you've been showing clients?!!

They hate you cuz they ain't you.

Jennifer M wrote:

They hate you cuz they ain't you.

Well, I hate me too now - it seems like I don't even qualify for a Rising Talent badge. I'm going to have to start posting in the forum every day to ask WHY I don't qualify for Rising Talent. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members