Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanations of proposals.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
1 of 5

Hi all there,
I run into a small problem and do not know what you think about it. I have searched about this subject but find nothing.

Many proposals have so little information that really I do not know what they're talking or what they are looking for.
I do not know if there was any way that UW demanded more information to customer when writing a proposal, but I think something should be done.

Would not it be good that there is a place where we can ask questions for clarification from customer?
On other platforms this possibility exists and is very useful.
When you walk into a proposal, if it is unclear what the customer wants or you want clarify some point needed to know if you can do the job, you can ask a question. And of course, with the clarifications given to other freelancers, often the doubts you have already solved.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
2 of 5

These are the timewasters and should be avoided. Don't waste your connects on them

A real client that wants a task done will write a pretty detailed proposal to gain interest among the freelancing community

Also when you look at a proposal also look at the client details and if they have a star rating and freelancer feedback from previos jobs.

But for sure if you see a proposal with 1 sentence or 2 and then zero stars and jobs posted then they aere a waste of time

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
3 of 5

Thanks for your time.

I usually do what you say, but the problem is, what if it's not a waste of time?, And if only he does not know what or how to order?
If you could make ask ... Maybe you're losing a job in the end, worth it.
Happened to me, a new customer on another platform. He never had asked for a job in this way and was thus lost. Eventually the work did not go, but with a few questions, he could refine his request. It did nothing for me, but for the rest.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 5

There are sometimes grey areas with job offers. While the one-liners could be safely ignored, there are others, where the job descriptions are insufficient, but seem interesting enough to waste a couple of connects on (if the pay is good, for example!). 

I have sometimes responded to these, but briefly, and without wasting too much time on my proposal, and I usually point out that my connects will not be returned. I often get a response and sometimes I have been offered a job.

The problem with having a special clarification feature, is that it can be abused. I remember one UK platform had it for while, but the freelancer comments were often too insulting (if justified), and eventually, it was scrapped!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
5 of 5

In my niche there are many job opportunities and usually ignore the one line project description. But, if the client has a good experience & reputation - that's easy to check, if I'm ok with the budget or the number of $ ( lol ) I would give it a shot. 

There are a few reasons why good clients don't describe their projects: lack of time, lack of ability / knowledge, maybe they expect someone who can impress with their cover letter even if that's kind of unrealistic when freelancers don't have enough details.

After I reached a level of experience with oDesk and now Upwork, I can say I have some sort of feeling for this type of proposals. Usually I ignore them and sometimes I apply.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS