🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Exploited/Uncooperative client
Page options
mooshobaku
Community Member

Exploited/Uncooperative client

Hello community
I hope that you all are having a great day.

I'm new at Upwork, I just got my first job a week ago after submitting more than 150 proposals, I'm trying to make my client happy as I could so that he gives me good feedback for my first job, I see clearly that my client is using me because I'm still new and trying so hard to have nice feedback for my first job, he paid me what we agreed on but he still trying not to end the contract and give the feedback and he is giving me small extra tasks which is fine with me, but I want him to end the contract and give me the feedback.

How do I end the contract without being rated badly?, because I want to stop him from using me, and at the same time if I close the contract from my side I think that would make him sad and he will give me a bad rating and feedback.

thank you so much 
Mahmoud

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mahmoud A wrote:

he paid me what we agreed on but he still trying not to end the contract and give the feedback and he is giving me small extra tasks which is fine with me, but I want him to end the contract and give me the feedback.

The professional way to handle it is NOT to keep pestering the client about closing the contract at this point. If the client asks for something that is out of scope, simply respond cheerfully that you'll be very pleased to do whatever it is, that your charge will be $ XX and state that you will get started as soon as the milestone for $ XX is funded.

No client can exploit you unless you let them. Never pester clients for feedback. It irritates the living daylights out of them and may well result in you getting feedback that reflects how irritated the client was by being pestered to close the contract and leave feedback. I have never mentioned feedback to a client, ever. Not in 300+ contracts, and never will.

I encourage clients (once) to close the contract (if the client does so, I get feedback automatically) and then I leave the client alone.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Mahmoud A wrote:

he paid me what we agreed on but he still trying not to end the contract and give the feedback and he is giving me small extra tasks which is fine with me, but I want him to end the contract and give me the feedback.

The professional way to handle it is NOT to keep pestering the client about closing the contract at this point. If the client asks for something that is out of scope, simply respond cheerfully that you'll be very pleased to do whatever it is, that your charge will be $ XX and state that you will get started as soon as the milestone for $ XX is funded.

No client can exploit you unless you let them. Never pester clients for feedback. It irritates the living daylights out of them and may well result in you getting feedback that reflects how irritated the client was by being pestered to close the contract and leave feedback. I have never mentioned feedback to a client, ever. Not in 300+ contracts, and never will.

I encourage clients (once) to close the contract (if the client does so, I get feedback automatically) and then I leave the client alone.

moonraker
Community Member

Mahmoud A wrote:

because I want to stop him from using me,

Do you want him to stop paying you as well? 

The client owes you *nothing*, except for payment for work completed. Stop hassling them otherwise you're likely to end up with back feedback, and a lost job. 

roberty1y
Community Member

If he's squeezing extra work out of you under the threat of bad feedback if you don't comply, you could try to trap him into telling you explicitly in a message that he's doing so. This would be proof that he's violating the terms of service and you would have grounds for a complaint against him.

Robert Y wrote:

If he's squeezing extra work out of you under the threat of bad feedback if you don't comply

The OP suggested nothing of the sort!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members