cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Jobs in Progress

razajan5
Raza J Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
1 of 17

If I have 15 jobs in progress does clients stop sending me other offers because I already have alot of work and they can thought how this freelance will manage. Or it does not effect you still get invites and new jobs.

Ps
My mostly jobs are paused due to inactivity and they also show as job in progress Actually I am not working on that projects.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 17

Hi Raza,

Please communicate with the clients from those jobs that you haven't worked on in a while and ask them to end the contract if they don't have any additional work for you. If you don't receive a reply, consider closing those contracts yourself. Note that a pattern of contracts without payment/feedback can affect your Job Success Score. If you need to close a few contracts yourself, consider closing them gradually, a couple of contracts at a time.

Untitled
razajan5
Raza J Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
3 of 17

Thanks vladimir Important thing for me that is there is any disadvantage of having more jobs in progress ?

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 17

Yes. If there is no activity on those jobs for a while, they start counting against you. It is best to ask the clients to close them. If not, close one at a time...not all at once...e.g. a few with feedback from a client, and then one you close yourself. 

04b8f0fd
Christianiel S Member Since: Nov 15, 2016
5 of 17

The best way that you can do is to communicate on your inactive clients or you can automatically end your inactive contract and tell to your clients why you ended your contract will them.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
6 of 17

To answer your original question purely from a client perspective (and ignoring possible JSS issues) - you do have a very high number of jobs in progress, many with quite a lot of hours. But you also have an excellent JSS and profile. So I wouldn't immediately rule you out, but I might ask you if you were going to have the time to dedicate to my job.

As others have said, if those jobs are no longer active at all, it might be better for you to work on getting them closed.

View solution in original post

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
7 of 17

I sincerely hope Upwork takes irresponsible and irresponsive clients into account, e.g. if a client has idle jobs with too many different freelancers it affects the freelancer less than if it was a job by a client who does close all his jobs upon completion with one or several exceptions.

cashmorevoice
Elaine C Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
8 of 17

Do the Jobs in Progress count towards your long term contracts? Many of my clients have sporatic work and I'd like all of it to count towards the $500 earned so I can pay less fees with that cleint. How does closing these jobs impact that? I'm nervous to contact clients to close out jobs if they may have more work for me in the future.

Thanks

Elaine

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 17

Hi Elaine,

Active jobs in progress, on which you're submitting work and getting paid regularly do start to count as long term contracts after three months. On the other hand, open jobs without any activity can start to negatively impact your Job Success Score after a certain time frame, and freelancers are advised to work with their clients on closing these inactive jobs.

If you have any inactive contracts that you haven't received any work in a while or don't expect to receive any work in the near future, you can reach out to your clients and ask them to end them. Your clients will be able to easily rehire you in a few simple steps for the same jobs once they need your services again. Finally, all the contract you have with a single client count towards your lifetime billing, which is used to determine the service fee applied to your contracts with them.

Untitled
totemstudio
Paco P Member Since: Apr 27, 2017
10 of 17

Hi,

I got the same issue with some "jobs in progress", the only problem: the jobs in progress shown on my profile date back to 2008 and even as old as 2003 and in between these years. This work history came from my elance account, nonetheless these where projects that have been completed by that time when did them over Elance and never shown uncompleted or in progress status over there. However, when I migrated to Upwork, I found I got those old 6 jobs in progress where I can't even contact the client, or close them by my self.

I certainly believe this is definitely affecting the little opportunities I've found and applied for. It looks like I'm quite busy with those 6 clients since 2003 or for instance it is taking me more than 16 years to complete a $XX-$XXX job.

Any advice?

Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS