Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra payment for 'free' membership plan

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
1 of 5

Hi everyone,

No doubt you've seen oDesk's recent announcement. Now I've been going through the updated policy, agreement, announcement, etc., and I don't see an answer to my burning question. Hope somebody here can help me:

I have one big concern: on Elance, if you only have free membership, you have to pay a $5 fee for every 60 days that you keep money on Elance (or some utter nonsense like that).

PLEASE tell me oDesk's new membership feature is not going to force us to do the same? Has anyone seen something written about this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 5
What concerns me is whether 'premium' members will be allowed to 'promote' (buy the job) their bid.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
3 of 5

This is a feature that I would have hated when I was beginning at odesk. However now I am a bit confused about how to react to this. On one hand it should eradicate the non serious spamming freelancers so that improves my chances of being noticed when I apply. On the other hand I will be paying odesk twice . Once for applying, then a commission when I get hired.

There are a lot of questions like will my job application still go into hidden tab if I am paying for that with my tokens??   

Will I have an option to highlight my job application by spending extra tokens? and will my application go into hidden tab if I choose to highlight??

How much more commisions/money does odesk plan on charging us in future???

Why so many experiments on odesk and not on elance????

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi All,

I would like to clarify the questions that came up on this thread.

There are no plans to start charging freelancers for keeping their earnings in their oDesk accounts. However, your balance can be sent to your primary payment method automatically after 6 months since oDesk cannot keep freelancers' funds indefinitely.

Subscribing to the Freelancer Plus membership plan will not affect the visibility of applications and of the freelancer's profile in search. Currently there is no option to highlight your application for an additional cost either.

I hope this information helps. You can see our responses to other related questions on this thread.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 5

"There are no plans to start charging freelancers for keeping their earnings in their oDesk accounts."

Of course, as was pointed out in the main thread, there were "no plans" to have paid accounts, either.  A "no plans" excuse is almost always dishonest.

"You can see our responses to other related questions on this thread."

It's a beast of a thread, too.  It really highlights how poor this forum software is when it comes to big discussions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS