Did you mean: 

FAKE? *** asking for money

waweru021
Peter Kariuki W Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
11 of 39

waweru021
Peter Kariuki W Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
12 of 39
I got a job invite thru Odesk from united healthcare. I followed the interview steps only to b asked for $ 212 to purchase some softwares needed for the said job. I doubted the job n couldn't blv that I'm not the only one who was targeted for a scam! Kudos to those who resisted the very tempting offer.
kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 39

Hi Peter,

Please report the job by flagging it. Make sure you do not start working on any project on Upwork before you see an active contract in My Jobs tab and do not send any money to the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
14 of 39

Freelancers should NEVER have to pay for equipment, supplies, programs that are needed for a specific job. If such materials are needed the cost for them should be supplied by the client or included as a misc charge in their payment to you BEFORE you start work or before you acutally purchase that equipment. For example, if you're hired at, say $100 and you  need a special program to preform this job, the client should either send that program to you for free or include what it would cost to buy it IN ADDITION to the $100.

Also, never acept the word of a client when they tell you you're hired. Hiring/awarded a job MUST take place on this site.

Do not accept a check to be sent to you, or payment through Paypal. All financial transactions MUST take place on this site.

Do NOT give out any personal information - social security numbers, drivers license numbers, auto tag/license plate numbers, mothers madian name, bank account numbers, passport information, credit card account numbers and information, Paypal account numbers and even your address unless the job intails mailing documents you need to work on the job, such as a box of business cards you'll need so you can enter the data off them into Excel.

And most of all do NOT start work, unless escrow is funded. The client can say that there's a problem with their account and the bank is fixing it, or Guru is working on it and in the meantime, start work, or send the work to them.

And after reading this you fall for the above scams, I have the Brooklyn bridge to sell you.

View solution in original post

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 39

Peter added to what Kathy says, this person is a well-known scamster.  I was 'invited' to a similar job and reported it. The person uses the names of reputable online health and paramedical sites and claims to be part of their orgnization. Don't even respond to them. Just report it (to Valeria as she suggested). 

huiza_jaime
Jaime H Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
16 of 39

Team,

One more brick to the wall, here is another suspecious scenario where Mrs. Maureen Hill from here is the posting:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I was a victim of one of those useless and abusive reputation killers before and in fact this invitations was a recent one. Please be careful as a team member this is very offensive playing around with the skills and professionalism of all of us and with Upwork.

I will share with you how our chat ended up.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 39

Hi Jaime,

I suggest you stop communicating with this client via any means. Our Marketplace Quality team has already taken actions against the client's account because they were violating Upwork Policies.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
huiza_jaime
Jaime H Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
18 of 39

Great, definitely those fake contractors are damaging the serious and professional contract in Upwork. Thank you again.

wiredjp
Laurence H Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
19 of 39

This afternoon, I received an upwork email notification to contact **edited for Community Guidelines** for an online job interview via yahoo messenger. I was offered a job either as a data entry clerk or as an administrative clerk to work for **edited for Community Guidelines** I live outside of the USA and I thought that this would be a problem but she gave me every indication that it was not a problem. She promised me a well paying job and a promise that she will send me a computer via fedex by tomorrow. The catch was that I will have to send her US$212 either by Western Union or Money Gram as soon as possible in order to install software on the laptop. I thought was strange because I thought the laptop should have preinstalled software on it. So I decided to google her name to see if she was associated with United Health Care but no such luck. But I happen to see this post in the google search results. I am happy that I did not send her the US$212 tomorrow as she would have scammed me. My only regret is that I given her my mailing details in our online interview session. I will flag the **edited for Community Guidelines** job post as inappropriate.

tannisha-thomas
Tannisha T Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
20 of 39

I fell for that same scam. And i actually went as far as sending out the money to purcahse the software. I knew something was off but i still went ahead untill yesterday i saw a similar post like this on google.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS