cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKE? *** asking for money

anabella-hale
Anabella H Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
31 of 39

I am speaking to her right now, it is a great thing that i found this thread while conversing with her. Can she be stopped, it seems like this as been going on for a while.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
32 of 39

@Anabella H wrote:

I am speaking to her right now, it is a great thing that i found this thread while conversing with her. Can she be stopped, it seems like this as been going on for a while.

All you can do is to report the job to CS, if she (or them ) has contacted you through Upwork, and you can block her from contacting you again.  

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
33 of 39

A millionaire giving away all their money???? Send me the link, I'm in!!! 

P.S Don't be sending me private messages asking for a share, I got here first Cat Mad

marianne222
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
34 of 39

I have rec'd 3 of these scams invites since January.. It's always lets IM on Yahoo. They always ask if I can do Data Entry and then tell me to answer "ok" after each line they type (in a rude/curt sort of way). Then they say they have to go to their boss to see if they can hire me. I wait for 5 minutes and they get back to me saying I've been hired.

...Here's the rub

Then they say they will send me a check, that I am to deposit into my bank account, get a western union money gram and send it to some (ahem) person in TX and they will send me software, scanner, copier and laptop. I took the bait on the first two and went to the bank with the check. I had the manager look at the check first - he told me it was a fraud both times (he told me to not work online too, but he has no clue on that side of the coin).

The 3rd time I played with them online and then told them to leave me alone. I suspect they won't - but I will now decline any offers to IM on Yahoo or any place else.

Sorry this happened to you. But definatly flag as inappropriate!

Mari~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 39

@Marianne M wrote:

I have rec'd 3 of these scams invites since January.. It's always lets IM on Yahoo. They always ask if I can do Data Entry and then tell me to answer "ok" after each line they type (in a rude/curt sort of way).

That is because they use auto-responders. Not a real person. The next response from them is automatically triggered by "ok"

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 39

Hi Marianne,

Please take a look at our previous posts on this thread and report any client who is offering to pay you off the platform.

Note that a freelancer is also in violation of Upwork ToS if they accept to get paid off Upwork, and risk having their account suspended or terminated.

marianne222
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
37 of 39

I did report it - and being somewhat new to Upwork (not Elance) I did not know this was a violation - meaning I didn't know they were not allowed to purchase software for you - I would never accept payment outside of Upwork, I know that is a violation! And believe me, I will flag anything I see that is like this when looking for assignments. No worries, this is where I work and I will do *nothing* to jeapordize that!

Mari~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
chrisjwilliams83
Christopher W Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
38 of 39

Same thing happened to me. Wish I could get those connects back. I am new here trying to get some starting work so I can have some reviews. So far all I have had are scams. This is annoying to no end. I have wasted so much time here.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 39

Hi Christopher,

Please, report the original job post by flagging it so the team can review it and take appropriate actions. If the job is cancelled by Upwork team due to ToS violation, the connects you used to apply for it will be returned to you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS