🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » FEATURE REQUEST: A tip/donation for an advice
Page options
dmitry_ni
Community Member

FEATURE REQUEST: A tip/donation for an advice

Hello.

I'm not sure this is a right place to ask but haven't found the one yet. Mods pls re-route if it is.

A quite common scenario:

During interviewing conversation, negotiating the ways to make the job done, a client realizes that they are able to do the job on their own or in a completely different way. They close the job and disappear. Or simply disappear.
I think it's fair to get paid since the client's problem analyzed, valuable information given. A simple and quick Tip button would suffice. Few wanted to hassle with full-blown contracts.

12 REPLIES 12
jared_k
Community Member

The thing is, most of those clients who get the free information and disappear wouldn't tip you anyway and those who actually have ethics would just hire and pay you.

I feel your pain Dimitrii, having given too much information in the interview process a time or two myself. I guess the key is figuring out how much information is too much.

jr-translation
Community Member

Dmitrii N wrote:

Hello.

I'm not sure this is a right place to ask but haven't found the one yet. Mods pls re-route if it is.

A quite common scenario:

During interviewing conversation, negotiating the ways to make the job done, a client realizes that they are able to do the job on their own or in a completely different way. They close the job and disappear. Or simply disappear.
I think it's fair to get paid since the client's problem analyzed, valuable information given. A simple and quick Tip button would suffice. Few wanted to hassle with full-blown contracts.

Apart from what Jared says it makes no sense for Upwork to introduce something like that. Clients still need to be invoices and you still need to declare the income.
If clients want to tip you, they can easily hire you, pay a bonus and leave a good feedback.
If a client feels pushed into paying you a tip, it might end in a feedback saying your work is good but the communication was far from pleasent.

You are a freelancer, you own a business.  If you want to get paid, start a contract. You might get a tip from a neighbor when helping with some computer issues, but your clients on Upwork will need a proper invoice.

tlbp
Community Member

Dmitrii N wrote:

Hello.

A quite common scenario:

1. As others have pointed out, the amount of processing and documentation that must be completed by Upwork is the same regardless of payment format.
  2. If a client really values your contribution, they have the option to send you a contract to transmit the tip. You aren't going to save them clicks by changing the name on the button. 
  3. If the fix really is so simple that a few words can explain how to do it, it is inappropriate to expect payment. You should consider these relationship building opportunities. The same client may remember you when they have a larger problem later. 
  4. If the fix takes more than a few words to explain, you are saying too much in your interviews. If you provide a client the full solution free of charge, there is no incentive for them to hire you. 

OP, I think it is especially important for you to determine which scenario (#3 or #4) is happening in your interviews. You need to strike the right balance between moving the conversation to a hire when it is appropriate without taking on fixes that are so easy that the client may feel deceived. (e.g., If the solution was to "turn the computer off and back on again," the client who hired you is probably not going to be happy that you charged them for that advice--even if you feel entitled to payment.)

dmitry_ni
Community Member

The problem is, clients are not educated to pay for the valuable information. They think: "I have a 'job'. Now I can accomplish this 'job' myself. Thank you for pointers and goodbye". It's very common in the software development. But even "a few words" stem from the years of experience, let alone the scrutinizing the client's problem takes hours of unpaid hard work. Please don't diminish "a few words".

If not the button, I think Upwork should take their part in encouraging clients to pay freelancers even for small yet valuable advises. Afters all, it increases your revenue, isn't?

Dmitrii N wrote:

The problem is, clients are not educated to pay for the valuable information. They think: "I have a 'job'. Now I can accomplish this 'job' myself. Thank you for pointers and goodbye". It's very common in the software development. But even "a few words" stem from the years of experience, let alone the scrutinizing the client's problem takes hours of unpaid hard work. Please don't diminish "a few words".

If not the button, I think Upwork should take their part in encouraging clients to pay freelancers even for small yet valuable advises. Afters all, it increases your revenue, isn't?

You should tell the client that you charge for consultation hourly, and ask him to create a contract for that. 

Dmitrii N wrote:

It is a problem on your end if you start working without a contract. This can and will not be solved by introducing a new button.

Jennifer R wrote:

Dmitrii N wrote:

It is a problem on your end if you start working without a contract. This can and will not be solved by introducing a new button.

It's almost impossible to start a contract without analyzing the problem first and discussing every of its aspects with client. What if I'm not quialified enough for this particular problem? Moreover, clients want a proof that you posses in-depth skills and really understand what they want. Nobody buy into shallow promises. If it were so simple 'just hire me' I wouldn't have that problem in the first place.

tlbp
Community Member

Dmitrii N wrote:

It is unfortunate that you are unable to find a way to bid on projects without giving away free work. 

lysis10
Community Member

I want to be able to work in "Give me the tip" into my conversations. This would make me so happy. I already got to work in "NO REASON ban" into a conversation and I laughed and he probably thought I am crazy but I laughed and it amused me and that's all that matters. 

kevashcroft
Community Member

Good idea Dmitrii

c63ea194
Community Member

I like the idea too.

Discussing without going to contract is a frequent case 

It would be good to have such a usefull and flexible option for some kind of tip/payment for that time. 

Freelancers need to manage their business and they need to not work for free, including providing free consultation hours to clients.

But... the original poster describes a legitimate concern. This is is a situation that real freelancers and clients face.

I can't see how it could hurt freelancers or clients if there was a simple button with a dollar amount field that clients could use to instantly send a payment to a freelancer without creating a contract.

Upwork would collect the same fees on these payments.

I don't believe Upwork is going to implement this feature any time soon. But if it was my decision, I would add this. I can see the potential benefit, and I don't see how it would cause a problem.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members