The W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you are not a US taxpayer. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a W-8BEN for all non-US taxpayers who get paid Upwork earnings. Once you file your W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access your funds immediately.
It is important to note that Upwork does not:
- Withhold any taxes from your earnings
- Use the W-8BEN to report your income to anyone
- Ask for any taxpayer identification numbers
- Require you fill out a form
- Determine, or in any way affect, whether or not you owe taxes in your own country
Please consult a local tax professional to determine whether your freelancer earnings are taxable.
To update your W-8BEN or Tax Information:
1. Go to Settings
2. Click Tax Information at the left side
3. Click Edit
4. Enter your legal given name under Legal Name of Business
5. Make sure your address is accurate
6. Tick the agreement tick box
7. Hit Update