🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: FIRST JOB
Page options
princeotieno
Community Member

FIRST JOB

HOW DO I WIN MY FIRST JOB? I HAVE OVERSPENT ON CONNECTS AND I'M STILL BIDDING.

6 REPLIES 6
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Prince,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties finding projects on Upwork. I recommend checking out the Freelancing Resources board where you can find a lot of articles about writing proposals and how to enhance your profile to boost your career on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you Aleksandar. I have gone through most of device, I shall start applying the same on my proposal. I'm hopeful I shall win my first gig soon enough.

You will need a good profile, good proposals, lot of patience and, the most important, lot of luck!

Lots and lots of luck. That will be challenging part, I see my profile is outstanding and I write short and clear proposals.

Yes, my profile completion is 100%.

I joined the community 6 months ago and all this while I've been buying connects without getting any work. I'm almost giving up.

Prince O wrote:

I see my profile is outstanding.

I'm not sure "outstanding" is really quite the word. What do you believe makes it "outstanding" and makes it "stand out" in your stupendously overcrowded category? 

Your portfolio samples are very basic (several very easy and more or less skillfully executed background removals and one example of using the stamp tool, but in a somewhat obvious way.) 

If you want to "stand out" you want to include portfolio samples that demonstrate advanced skills, not what every hobbbyist can create in 5 minutes. Something that surprises the viewer, something that makes them want you to do the same to their own photos.

In an overcrowded category, you need to demonstrate outstanding skills to stand out enough to get hired.

Your profile is currently a way from that.

Prince O wrote:

Lots and lots of luck. That will be challenging part, I see my profile is outstanding and I write short and clear proposals.

Yes, my profile completion is 100%.

I joined the community 6 months ago and all this while I've been buying connects without getting any work. I'm almost giving up.

I think that luck has very little to do with getting work. Very rarely there may be a client who's in a huge rush to get something done and will hire you if you happen to be the first person who applies. But I wouldn't count on that.

I agree with Petra that you need better portfolio samples. The last two photos especially (where you've removed the background) are poorly executed, especially around the subjects' hair. You need to demonstrate that you can handle more complicated jobs, and you'll only learn how to do that by practising a lot. Apart from that, it would benefit you to have some portfolio pieces that demonstrate creativity, such as combining photos with other images, graphics, textures etc. Magazines like Digital Arts or Digital Creative (there are hundreds more if you do a Google search) are a good source of inspiration and techniques.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths