cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD - 2nd client in 2 days who has contacted me and is a Fraud

Highlighted
Madlena P Member Since: May 18, 2015
1 of 8

Shame on me for wasting a whole hour of my time being interviewed by a Fraudster!

This is the 2nd time this week that I was approached on UpWork and invited to an Interview. 

The first one I replied back and specified that I would prefer to be interviewed directly on UpWork not on Skype, of GChat, or Yahoo or anything like that. 

The invite I received today was from "(***)" and for some reason I agreed to get off UpWork and be interviewed on Yahoo Messenger. This should have been the first warning sign.

We proceeded with an hour long interview during which I spent all my time asking questions about the company and the position since none of that was clear from the job description on Upwork.

They presented themselves as being an HR manager from (***). They asked me several questions, asked me to hold for 5 min, and then came back to tell me that I am hired. 

I asked if I'd be paid through UpWork, and their answer was NO, at which point I explained that is not acceptable for me, and it also breaks UpWork's terms of service, clients cannot interview you and hire you off the platform. 

They tried to assure me I'd be paid via Direct Deposit they just need my bank info (haha, yeah right).

I just want to warn anyone else who has a similar experience. Do not agree to interview invites off of the platform, especially if you didn't apply to the positions in the first place. 

Do not give anyone your info, especially not your Bank Info.

And if the client is refusing to hire and pay you through UpWork....RUN!!!!!

Here is the info for this Client (note the misspellings in the name and email also, should have been a big warning sign for me not to waste more time, but learned my lesson now!)

*** plese note that I had to remove the original Client Info becuase it is against UpWork's T&C, I  originally wanted to prevent others from being scammed by the same person/company *** 

Please share if you have a similar experience!

Thanks! 

Highlighted
Jannatul N Member Since: Dec 22, 2014
2 of 8

Hello Madlena! Thanks for sharing your exprience. Man Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 8

Well done you for standing your ground and not being sucked in, although not many would have wasted so much of their own time once they knew they weren't going to play ball. Note that it's highly likely that a lot of the info in your post will soon be removed as it breaks T&Cs - but well done for putting it u and sharing. Yes you're right by the way about your first red flag. Yahoo Messenger is almost always code for SCAM.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 8

It's nice of you to share a scam, but you cannot post names of individuals or companies and/or contact info.  It is against forum guidelines. It is best that you report it to customer service so they can take care of it.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Madlena P Member Since: May 18, 2015
5 of 8

I wasn't aware that I couldn't include the Client Info, I thought that by including it I can prevent others from being scammed by the same person/company. I would go in and edit my original post to not include those, but don't see an Edit option on here. I have now edited my original post to not include this info! 

Thank you for letting me know though. I will contact UpWork's Customer Service about this incident.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

Oh my goodness.

Yahoo Messenger.

We have looked long and hard, and nobody I know of here has ever heard of any legitimate Upwork client using Yahoo Messenger.

I firmly believe that Yahoo Messenger is ONLY used by Upwork "clients" who are trying to scam contrators.

Because they know their discussions can't be traced back to them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "We proceeded with an hour long interview..."

Yikes, what a waste of time.

Listen, I know that not everybody can do this yet at the point you're at with your online career and Upwork profile... but you should set a goal to NOT DO INTERVIEWS for free.

I'm at a point now that I can charge for the interview. And I do. And that really helps eliminate the clients who might waste my time. 

If a client wants to ask a few basic questions via Upwork messaging, I'm okay with that.

But if they want to talk to me or interview me in any kind of extended way, then they need to set up an HOURLY contract at my posted rate AND send a hire button AND they need to be payment-verified.

And THEN, yes, they can interview me. They can ask about their project. They can ask me for my ideas. They can take as much time as you need. They're paying for the time, so any ideas we discuss totally belong to them.

I know many Upwork contractors charge for conversation time, even for initial interview stages. More of us need to do this. Clients or potential clients who invite us to work on their projects SHOULD expect to pay for our time and should not expect to receive free consultations from us.

(Obviously if you're applying to a job and not being invited, you might not be able to charge for initial interviews. But once a client starts talking about their project and getting concrete ideas from you, you should move the relationship toward being a paid consultant rather than an unpaid "interviewee" as soon as possible.)

Highlighted
Marie A Member Since: May 29, 2015
8 of 8

Hello

I think **edited for Community Guidelines** who is photographer asked me same info,bank account and pass word.

He sent me Employment Agreement under jurisdiction of New Zealand.

In case,if someone approcehd by this photograher who currently in Turkey be aware.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS