Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Ads Payment through Paypal

nb5347
Ace Contributor
Natalie B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 10

Hi,

I just finished a job with a client and was paid via Upwork to make two Facebook Ads for them. Since I have to pay for the Facebook Ads from my end (it is linked to my Paypal), the client sent me $50 budget for the first ad via Paypal. He has suddenly disappeared and is not sending me the money for the second Facebook Ad that I ran. I have receipts to everything but don't think Upwork will protect this side of things.

Any insight?

Edit*** He paid for the job I was hired on for THROUGH Upwork. Facebook charges for Facebook Ads and only allows one payment method. Facebook Ads is linked to MY Paypal. He had to pay for his ads somehow. He did not include that in the job payment he sent through Upwork.

Thanks.

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
2 of 10

You received the payment through Paypal?

dataextract
Community Guru
3 of 10

Upwork will not protect you, but will ban you as you've violated the ToS by accepting payment outside Upwork. 

iamchunchunchun
Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
4 of 10

I think you will probably be suspended by admitting that you receive payment directly through PayPal.

nb5347
Ace Contributor
5 of 10

I don't think either one of you are understanding the situation. I did NOT accept payment outside of Upwork. I was paid for the job WITHIN Upwork. He paid me for the work I did but the amount he budgeted for the actual Facebook Ads (what is paid TO Facebook) comes out of MY Paypal so he had to pay for that too. This was not my expense. I can not link Upwork payments to Facebook Ads manager or I would do so so everything runs through Upwork.

iamchunchunchun
Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
6 of 10

I understand what you're talking about, and I also understand that you're being completely honest and was not looking to cheat Upwork. However, what you did was still not allowed and would not be protected by Upwork.

If it is possible, it would be better for you ask the client to pay the ad fees directly in the future.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 10

Three possible scenarios:

• Payment for Freelance work went from Client to Upwork then Upwork to Freelancer.
  • Payment for Facebook ads went from Client via PayPal to Facebook. (NOT via the freelancer)

• Payment for Freelance work went from Client to Upwork then Upwork to Freelancer.
  • Payment for Facebook ads went from Client to Upwork then Upwork to Freelancer then Freelancer paid Facebook.
  • Payment for Facebook ads went from Client via PayPal to the freelancer who paid Facebook.

The green scenarios are fine

The red scenario is grounds for suspension.

To answer the original question: No, Upwork won't protect you for money you did not receive outside the platform, just sanction you and the client for money you did receive outside the platform (for whatever reason)

dataextract
Community Guru
8 of 10

// the client sent me $50 budget for the first ad via Paypal//

So he sent you $50 through paypal for the first campaign, isntit?

Whatever it may be.. you are not allowed to get any single penny out of Upwork whatever may be the reason.

If there are any expenses which you cannot let pass through Upwork system, you will have to ask your client to set up an account with facebook using his own credentials and appoint you as a manager to handle it on their behalf. 

What you did is certainly against the ToS of Upwork.

nb5347
Ace Contributor
9 of 10

No.... he paid for his Facebook Ad expense through Paypal which is where Facebook charged. He paid for the work I did through Upwork.

I did not accept any penny outside of Upwork. No money came to me directly for the job except what he paid me via Upwork. He does NOT know how to do anything Facebook Ad related hence why I was hired on... much less is he going to know how to get into Facebook Ads Manager and use his own credentials and make me a manager.

dataextract
Community Guru
10 of 10

// he paid for his Facebook Ad expense through Paypal which is where Facebook charged//

Your statements are confusing.

He has paid for his facebook ad expenses through paypal to who? To facebook directly or to your paypal to handle those expense?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS