cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing fierce contest from low price contenders

spdtechnologys
Prince D Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
1 of 26

Today i was viewing a job for applying. Client has budget about $2000 and highest bid is also $2000. But the lowest one is only around $20. I wonder how people can develop a complete website by $20 or so. We are facing fierce battle from low cost contenders. We have been migrated from ELANCE and elance had very few low cost contenders and clients would pay high happily. Here it has been very hard to get jobs at high price. Even at fair price. Any suggestions from the community ? I am making appeal to the whole commity of freelancers that at least take fair  price form the clients. 

gary_cooper
Community Leader
Gary C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
2 of 26

Prince

If you make a good enough case in your proposal people will see that - regardless of the price - you diminish your worth by playing the race to the lowest game.

Aside this, do you really want to work for under your worth? I am locked into a contract at the moment doing work I hate, which is really rubbish from a job satisfaction point of view, simply to build my profile - I wouldn't do it; it's soul destroying - much better to do a choice project that you can really get into..

Have a look at my screen saver!

Good luck with your bids ... keep going ...

Cordialement

Gary Cooper

spdtechnologys
Prince D Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
3 of 26

Gary 

There are lots of issues with poor price offers to clients.  Recently i quoted 5k for a job to a client and it was really more than 5k job. We did same job at elance at 8k contract. AT the end client informed me that he selected another guy cause he is doing the job at 3k. Bunch of poor price worker creates a huge impact on the market place. Elance was full of good rateed providers and high paying clients. I am not sure that whether you are from ELANCE or odesk originally. If you were from ELANCE then you would realize the impact of low cost offer at upwork. Thanks 

gary_cooper
Community Leader
4 of 26

Prince - Hi

I do understand that - I'm new here and I've been utterly gobsmacked at some of the quotes I've seen for stuff but ultimately the quality must suffer mustn't it and those clients will learn this - it may take a while to settle down again and we have to ride this out - but it's not going away - I feel for you if you're losing that kind of money but you're worth more than that - obviously.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Cordialement

Gary

outsourceupwork
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
5 of 26

Odesk was always been a Walmart of online freelancing, so we have to survive in there ecosystem as Elancer owners betrayed all of us.  

Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 26

This is a ridiculous conversation. Any client willing to spend $2000 on their website is smart enough to know that proposals from contractors offering to do it for $20 are not to be taken seriously.

gary_cooper
Community Leader
7 of 26

Actually, no, Preston; it's a serious and legitimate concern for loads of folk - to just dismiss it is a bit flippant.

I'm lucky, in that I don't have to rely on the income from this, but I still won't undersell because ultimately we'll all suffer.

Surely; we don't want to be regarded as a "Fiver" do we?

Cordialement

Gary

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 26

Gary, no we do not want to be regarded as Fiver.

I did not mean to seem flippant.

If this sort of thing is impacting people, I am sorry to hear it. I simply don't see this kind of thing in my work on Upwork.

I believe you if you say this is having an impact on your Upwork experience. I don't have an easy answer to that.

Generally speaking, I think most of the contractors who have the wherewithal to participate articulately in the community forum will have the same experience that I have on Upwork, which is this:

MOST of the other candidates who apply to the same jobs that I apply to are simply terrible. Their proposals are terrible. Their profile pages are terrible. So they are "competition" only in the broadest technical sense. Serious clients are not going to choose them.

All the people I know who are regular forum participants are likely to stand out whenever they apply to a job. Lowball bids from copy-and-paste laundry list contractors are not going to mean anything to serious clients.

gary_cooper
Community Leader
9 of 26

I can't disagree with any of that actually ... Smiley Very Happy

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
10 of 26

"Surely; we don't want to be regarded as a "Fiver" do we?"

Really? What do you know about Fiverr exactly? Have you ever worked there?

You may think that everyting there goes for $5, but nothing could be further from the truth.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS