Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing fierce contest from low price contenders

gary_cooper
Community Leader
Gary C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
11 of 26

Fair comment Sir ...

I have never tried "Fiverr", maybe it's something to do with the name and their reputation.

It's kind of difficult when all I see are things like this **Edited for Community Guidelines**

But I'll have a look at it properly over the holidays.

Cordialement

Gary

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
12 of 26

Hi Gary.

My friends make a very good living from Fiverr. 

It's not just a blanket $5 across the board. You can charge extras which will raise the price of the job. 

Most reviews I think people like to read are ones that trash people, workplaces, or platforms.

And they'll repeat what they read because it's far more interesting than positive information. 

Instead of forming opinions based on what other people say about Fiverr, you should do some first hand investigation and thorough experimenting with the platform. Then you'll be better informed. 🙂 

gary_cooper
Community Leader
Gary C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
13 of 26

Indeed - I put my hands up to being prejudiced based on just that - hearsay.

I did say I'd have a look over the holidays; and I will - do you use them? How do you find it, earnings wise, compared with this?

screeler
Community Guru
14 of 26

Yes you did say you would look at Fiverr. 😉 

I did a very small job for $5 just to see what it was like. It wasn't my cup of tea and that might be because I'm used to how things go here. I got a great review for the job though, which was cool.

I liked that I had no worries about stars and job success .. but then again, I didn't advertise long enough to know if they have a similar system.

For myself, I'd rather use one platform for now and this happens to be the one. 

spdtechnologys
Prince D Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
15 of 26

Hi Preston 

There are lots of client who tends to be confuesed when they see big differences of price offer for the same job . They also see that low cost offering provider also have good reputation. It convence them that higher quoted provider might have quoted extra money and they tends to other comperative lower price provider. Thanks 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 26

Prince D, for the sake of the argument, what would you have Upwork do differently? Require all bids to be no lower than some percentage of the posted budget? If you did that, a large number of applicants will bid whatever this minimum is, and your bid will probably still be at a competitive disadvantage, all things being equal. It's up to you to convince the client that you will deliver a superior product or service that justifies your higher asking price.

Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
17 of 26

A client who expects a complete website (that works well) for $20 is probably a nightmare to work with. If they hire someone at the $20 rate, you dodged a bullet.

screeler
Community Guru
18 of 26

When clients hire amateurs who bid rock bottom prices, sometimes they'll get a good one, and sometimes not.

But. From the way I see it, there's still opportunity to make money.

How?

Because if the job isn't completed or totally messed up, the client will need it fixed.

In order to fix it they'll have to hire a professional at the rates they were trying desperately to avoid.

They'll go back to the job post and read the proposals and pick the best ones regardless of price. Mind you, that same job has changed so he really needs someone to go into detail about how they'd fix it and give him what he originally wanted. That's going to be $$$$$. 

Once they've been 'saved' by the pro, they most likely will never go cheap again because it cost them way more hiring the amateur. 

This is just my optimistic way of seeing things, it's not necessarily going to be true in all cases. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 26

It just occured to me that the $20 bid on a $2000 project was probably a misunderstanding by a newbie freelancer, who thought the project was hourly. That makes more sense than taking the bid at face value, and it's conceivable there are freelancers who have such limited English skills that they could make a mistake of this magnitude.

Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
20 of 26

There are a number of factors in play at the moment.

First you have all the Elance people trying to get work here and many of them are lowering their price to get any job they can that will give them enough experience to compete here.

Secondly they are currently advertising the heck out of this and we're flooded with newbies. They have absolutely nothing to show so they'll work for any price in order to get a foot in the door.

I could go right now and hire a top copywriter for $5 an hour easily.

But that's a very high risk even at $5.

Some clients recognize this and won't bother with the low bids.

Those who do hire at $5 might get lucky and get someone good, but more likely it will be a nightmare.

I am seeing far more people coming to me to fix things done by cheap freelancers.

Until Elancers get established and the advertising to attract newbies stops this is what we are all faced with. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS