🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Failed the job interview because I wasn't...
Page options
c8559fe2
Community Member

Failed the job interview because I wasn't willing to work for free.

I didn't win a proposal from a client I was being interviewed by because "although your designs were better, the other vendor has offered to do the job for free".

I find this bizarre and don't understand why anyone would work for free on this platform as I understand it doesn't boost your rating or reviews. Is this a common practice?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is this a common practice?"

No.

You encountered a goofball who was talking smack. That's all.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is this a common practice?"

No.

You encountered a goofball who was talking smack. That's all.

aaronph
Community Member

I don't think it's a common practice as far as I'm aware of all the people doing freelancing around me, they might compromise and charge a bit less to get somewhat good reputations for their new profile (everyone has their own way) but never free. 
And I'm not sure of the purpose of giving freelancers such information either. Like "hey, look, I got it done for free, why would you even charge me? (or charge that much) "?

If so, I guess I encountered similar situations before but not on Upwork, they think by devaluating your works they can get a better price. It's quite a despicable bargaining strategy though.

tlbp
Community Member

Richard C wrote:

I didn't win a proposal from a client I was being interviewed by because "although your designs were better, the other vendor has offered to do the job for free".

I find this bizarre and don't understand why anyone would work for free on this platform as I understand it doesn't boost your rating or reviews. Is this a common practice?

If you think about it from a big picture perspective, that gig was never yours to win. The client was looking for the cheapest alternative. So, unless you were willing to work for pennies (or free) that was never a viable lead for you. 

Upwork is a place to find leads, but not all those leads are qualified--meaning they are not all "ready, willing and able buyers." Some aren't ready (to make a decision), some arent' willing (to pay), some aren't able (to pay).

When you spend connects, you have to keep this in mind--you're buying access to a lead that you then have to qualify. And, in some instances, you may just be buying access to a scammer. Factor these lost costs into your prices and bidding strategy. Getting a foothold on Upwork can be a long, hard climb. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths