Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair & reasonable pay!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sonal V Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
1 of 5
Although I am two month old on upwork & lot of things changed since I joined , first the connect system was introduced & then the whole website changed but one thing is same the pay which client offer is too low , they want to pay 5$ or 10$ for for 1000 & 10000 of database and then we pay 10% to upwork , what are we going to get ? I am a new freelancer so not sure if this the pay freelancers earn? There are hardly any quality jobs to apply for.😔
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 5

@Sonal V wrote:
Although I am two month old on upwork & lot of things changed since I joined , first the connect system was introduced & then the whole website changed but one thing is same the pay which client offer is too low , they want to pay 5$ or 10$ for for 1000 & 10000 of database and then we pay 10% to upwork , what are we going to get ? I am a new freelancer so not sure if this the pay freelancers earn? There are hardly any quality jobs to apply for.😔

Sonal,

There are lots of quality jobs, you just have to sift through the crappy ones.

I looked at your profile and you might want to find something to make yourself stand out. Most of the low paying jobs the people applying all have the skills you mention in your profile. I am also not sure about finding HR work on the site. You  might want to try something like virtual assistant, or something you specialize in that stands out. If you have something others don't offer you will find quality jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
BEST ANSWER
3 of 5

I second what Suzanne said, differentiate and specialize! Also, keep in mind you are the one who sets the price. If you go to the store to buy a product or service, does anyone ask you what you're willing to pay? No, they give you a price and you either take it or leave it. It's no different with clients on Upwork. You are the product and the store, and you need to make sure you bid what you're comfortable with, not what the client thinks they can get away with paying.

I do think there's a real opportunity for HR professionals, 'cause hiring is a pain and time consuming and it's quite an art in itself, but there's not enough in your profile to go by that would distuingish you as an HR professional. The perception I get from your profile is that you're new, did well because already got a feedback, that your rate is way too low for an HR professional, and your overview too sloppy for a good Admin Assistant, and that you do not have a work history or portfolio (if you do I can't see it).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
Pravin K Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 5

Hello, Sonal

I understand how you feel because I am very familiar with it. When I started here few months back, maybe few months before you started, I was very frustrated with the offers. But I was determined not to take low paying jobs, the clients would prey on freshers, they abuse your skills because you desperately need to prove here before you start earning for real. They entice and exploit freelancers with assured "5 star" feedback. I was determined then and I am still with the same determination. I won't allow anyone to take advantage of my skills. I won't dishonor myself by taking up a low paying job because I have nothing to do.

There are so many good clients out there. Sadly, you need to come across many bad and worst clients to find good clients.

Yes, some times, I get frustrated on oDesk/Upwork to take 10% fee and the connect system, paid connect system, etc. The list is so long to hate.

But I tell you something that I always tell myself to get convinced with the system. Smiley Tongue

oDesk provides protection against fraud, from both clients and freelancers.

oDesk helps us find the right client and helps the clients finding right freelancers. It's a vast market.

oDesk does the billing service. oDesk acts as an agent between you and the client. It takes care of the billing process, I consider this as an important role. Think about the time we have to spend on it, the skills needed. It allows us to concentrate on our work, rather billing.

oDesk provides secure money transfer to our local banks.

Don't Give up on Work, Give Upwork a chance!!!Smiley Very Happy

That's my sincere view.

But I will never ever get convinced with the paid connect system and this funny name change.

Pravin

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sonal V Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
5 of 5
Thank u all for the feedback & thanks Pravin for the kind words, I will try and improve my profile😊
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS