cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Clients

Highlighted
Ehab A Member Since: Jan 12, 2018
1 of 17

i have a question long time ago , i noticed that upwork has strict things with the freelancers , like if they applied for many jobs ,etc . this is not my problem , but why you don't do the same with the clients , for example : there's a client i noticed , he asked for work 3 work samples to hire and he say that he has a lot of work but he want to test 3 freelancers , so all is eager for this job so we do the samples then , no response , and after a day i see another job posting from the same client with same job , and everyday he post the same job to get more samples for free , and no one know that but i keept searching everyday with the job heading and i always find a new job with that , so why you don't do anything with these kinds of clients ? i hope to secure  us as freelancers from the scammers . Smiley Happy thank you , if you want screenshot from the job posting its with me

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
2 of 17

Hi Ehab,

Thank you for this report. You can flag the job for us to review it by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link located at the upper right of the job posting and our team will review it and take action on any violations of the ToS. Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. You could click on my name and send me a private message with the job posting link and our team will investigate the client further, thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
3 of 17

Speaking about fake clients, I met recently one seemingly fake profile. Its name was very weird, they invited for a job, but never said anything. Also, their facial image was scary line-drawing resembing of a monster than any real person. I have understood that fake accounts are strictly no-no, as are fake images in profile. Kindly find a screenshot below.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Oleh O Member Since: Oct 31, 2018
4 of 17

Hi,

I wonder if someone here faced similar issues.

We met the client offline, took business to Upwork.

Job was created by someone on the client's side who we did not know.

This person later participated actively in the messaging center, was taking contract actions, negotiating contract terms.

Project eventually ended in dispute and we are now headed towards arbitration.
After the was cancelled by the client (funds in escrow), we got hold of some evidence that the identity of this negotiator on the client's side (one of two active participants on their side) is most likely a fake. Also, most likely, the second person on the client's side was aware of this, as, apparantly, it was his brother.

It is all very troubling, especially given the imminent arbitration.

We are just not getting the expected sense of urgency from Upwork regarding this violation. 

Please suggest how this can be escalated, so the matter is urgently and efficiently looked into ?

Thank you,

Oleh

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 17

Hi Oleh,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. 
I can see that you have an open ticket with our dispute team and our team member will assist you further on your ticket if you`re proceeding to arbitration.

To learn more about our dispute process check out this Thread. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket, our team will assist you further. Thank you.

Untitled
6 of 17

Hi Goran,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, you are right, we have an open ticket regarding the dispute about a payment in Escrow.

I believe the situation I described transcends the mere payment dispute. 

Ideally I would like to open a separate ticket. Also, I would like more urgency.

As we are headed towards arbitration, I need to understand what portions of our message room communication are valid (if any). I will need to be quoting portions of our communication to the arbitrator. How can I do this, not knowing whether I was communicating with a fake person?

Ideally I would like some timeline, a date by which I will be informed if I was contracting with a fake person or a real one.

I am pushing this because we already have a clear deadline with regards to filing for arbitration, which is March 28, just one week away.

Thanks again for your help,

Oleh

7 of 17

Hi Oleh,

I understand your concern with this but unfortunately, we can't discuss this publicly in our Community as too many private details are involved.

If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket and our dispute agent will assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

Untitled
8 of 17

Thanks Goran,

I will be waiting on updates from my dispute agent.

Could you please also specify on what private details I revealed (might reveal) that prevent us from discussing this publicly? I would like to make sure I do not disclose any sensitive information.

It is also my understanding that as long as I do not reveal any such sensitive details, it is my right to discuss publicly issues that I am concerned about? After all I am raising these so all the community can benefit from our experience.

Thanks,

Oleh

9 of 17

Hi Oleh,

I`m sorry about the confusion.

At this point, you haven't shared any private details in the Community and you`re more than welcomed to discuss or ask questions on any topic.

The questions you`ve asked me would require me to go into private details which I can't post publicly in the Community.

I hope this clears the whole confusion and if you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
10 of 17

Oleh O wrote:

Hi Goran,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, you are right, we have an open ticket regarding the dispute about a payment in Escrow.

I believe the situation I described transcends the mere payment dispute. 

Ideally I would like to open a separate ticket. Also, I would like more urgency.

As we are headed towards arbitration, I need to understand what portions of our message room communication are valid (if any). I will need to be quoting portions of our communication to the arbitrator. How can I do this, not knowing whether I was communicating with a fake person?

Ideally I would like some timeline, a date by which I will be informed if I was contracting with a fake person or a real one.

I am pushing this because we already have a clear deadline with regards to filing for arbitration, which is March 28, just one week away.

Thanks again for your help,

Oleh

I think it does not matter whether it was a real person or fake. You communicated with the client and everything send from his account is his responsibility. Make sure you have screenshots of all communication before the client edits his posts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS