cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Clients

Oleh O Member Since: Oct 31, 2018
11 of 17

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your comment. It matters for us. If nothing else, the fact of operating under a true or false name speaks to the integrity of a client. There are not so many rules that clients need to adhere to. One of them is to represent themselves accurately and truthfully. Contract room is not a theater where one can call themselves whatever they please. Freelancers have the right to know who their counterparts are.

Community Leader
Md. Morshed A Member Since: Apr 3, 2018
12 of 17

Hi Ehab,

I think every freelancers faces this type of clients more often and they suffer!  At the end, no job, no money..! But if one can find out like you did...

@Ehab A wrote:

after a day i see another job posting from the same client with same job

then you can flag the job, like Bojan said or you can do it like me....!!

Do you know what I do when I find out something like that?

- I skip the opportunity -

Smiley Very Happy

Ehab A Member Since: Jan 12, 2018
13 of 17

yeah , you or me can skip this if could get another opporturnity , but what about the starters , the people that still new and searching for the first job , btw i am talking also about upwork should give more security to freelancers as it gives to the clients

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
14 of 17

@Ehab A wrote:

but what about the starters , the people that still new and searching for the first job

In one sentence.  Starters are stupid.

Whenever they hear a word that implies 'FREE'  they should run.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
15 of 17

Not neccessarily stupid, just niave. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was ripped off a couple of times back in the Odesk days where you didn't even have escrow. It's probably best to consider it a learning experience. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 17

re: "Speaking about fake clients, I met recently one seemingly fake profile. Its name was very weird, they invited for a job, but never said anything. Also, their facial image was scary line-drawing resembing of a monster than any real person. I have understood that fake accounts are strictly no-no, as are fake images in profile. Kindly find a screenshot below."

Kristo:

To clarify some things that you may have misunderstood:

Upwork has no particular requirements about the images clients use.

Freelancers are required to use a real photo of themselves, but clients are not.

Also, there are many checks that Upwork does regarding freelancer names and other information (such as their location/country), which it does NOT do for clients.

Upwork clients are participate in payment verification, which does not apply to freelancers.

The situations and standards of clients and freelancers on Upwork are not the same.

If you are interested in the veracity of a client's details, such as their name, location or photo... you should be aware that Upwork in no way claims that the details you see associated with a client's job posting are all "factual."

Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
17 of 17

Yet, terms and conditions here rather clearly prohibit any fraudulent use as well as the act of impersonating someone on the site. Fake identities, particularly those that on try to hide themselves or the purpose of the job could be easily classified as being fraudulent. Of course, this happens also in the real life and any business must be read to take damage and implement proper risk management measures against fake clients, yet most of them might not have resources to do so. Thus, as indiciated here before, it might be a good idea to make it more obvious for the parties of the play, that what they see is, highly likely, not what they might think it is.

Have a good day, however, whoever you are!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS