Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Job Posts to Consume Freelancer's Connects

jeeves503
Ace Contributor
Aaron R Member Since: Jul 5, 2018
11 of 23

so you're saying it's impossible to create a new account? Interesting.

I've seen the exact same fake job posting listed several times over the past month.  How did they make a new account???? Smiley Frustrated

Dense, much?

The OP asked if freelancers are posting jobs with the sole purpose of enticing their competition to waste their connects and if that "is a thing here."R ead the original posting slowly and carefully if it was in any way confusing.

The scammers may well have freelancer accounts but the second their scam-client accounts are suspended, their freelancer accounts are gone too.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 23

@Aaron R wrote:

so you're saying it's impossible to create a new account? Interesting.too.

Where did I say that? (I didn't)

@Aaron R wrote:

I've seen the exact same fake job posting listed several times over the past month.

The most common scams that anyone who hasn't lived under a rock  the past decade or two recogizes at first glance are posted hundreds of times by hundreds, if not thousands of they'll only catch out those who have no clue and those whose scammers on every online platform. Every day.

There is no point getting all excited about them. Flag and move on.

They only catch out the truly clueless and they need to learn one way or the other.

And again, this has nothing to do with the original posting.

Maybe go back to re-reading it again even more slowly. I am sure you'll eventually comprehed it with enough patience and time.

jeeves503
Ace Contributor
Aaron R Member Since: Jul 5, 2018
13 of 23

you have been reported

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 23

Aaron R wrote:

you have been reported

Interesting. I had no idea we had a "flag for saying facts" button.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 23
Aaron R wrote:

you have been reported

I guess Upwork must have taken action against Petra in 2018, that's why we never hear from her any more. Smiley Very Happy

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 23

Christine A wrote:
Aaron R wrote:

you have been reported

I guess Upwork must have taken action against Petra in 2018, that's why we never hear from her any more. Smiley Very Happy

Zombie Thread... back from the deadZombie Thread... back from the dead

kateashcraft
Amanda A Member Since: Nov 21, 2018
17 of 23

For what exactly? I've reported my experience to Upwork. I didn't know it was wrong to share this here. I apologize, but don't take back my experience. **For some reason, Upwork sent me notification about your old reply? please disregard my response lol**

twinblade
Jean Peter P Member Since: Dec 17, 2016
18 of 23
What about upwork itself ? Do they post jobs too ? I am certain that a company as big as upwork can be trusted but i do wish we are refunded for connects spent on unresponsive job posts and not just jobs that were cancelled.
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
19 of 23

Ron, 

If it is a new trick, then the solution (as Preston suggested) is to screen the jobs carefully before you apply. If a promise looks too good to be true--it probably is. If a "client" has several jobs with no hires, carefully weigh whether trying to get him or her to hire you is worth the connects. Read the instructions in the New to Upwork section regarding how to avoid being scammed. Don't just apply to every job that you want, but conduct a little research. Investigate each job and client--the hire rate, the number of interviews, the average pay before applying.

And, of course, to avoid the other scams mentioned in this thread, follow Upwork's rules and the general life rules for transacting business with strangers over the internet. Upwork is not any more or less safe than the internet as a whole. 

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
20 of 23

This will be like emptying Indian ocean one spoon at a time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS