🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake Jobs Posting
Page options
kingpunjab
Community Member

Fake Jobs Posting

There are so many Fake jobs on Upwork and the number is increasing day by day. It's very unwell for the well-being of the Platform. 

Almost 70% of jobs are fake & they clearly mention their Whatsapp & Telegram link to contact them outside of the platform.

It's very FRUSTRATING...

Is there any solution to make the platform CLEAN?

Regards
Saad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these scam posts here. Upwork has told us they are working on it.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these scam posts here. Upwork has told us they are working on it.

How is Upwork working on it? how long will it take?

ricardo_antonio
Community Member

I'm really impressed about the fake job posting on Upwork. There are a lot of this type job. I think Upwork staff need to do something to detect and ban this fake job posting. There are people loosing connect and money for that

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience on the platform and how you feel about the same. While our team is working hard to rid our workplace of all inappropriate jobs, we sometimes need to rely on your assistance to report anything suspicious.

Please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs and working safely through Upwork. You can also read about Scam Preventions and how to report suspicious user activity. By doing so, it will send a notification to the relevant team to monitor the account and take the appropriate measures they deem necessary. 

We do appreciate the efforts of our members in keeping the integrity, safety, and quality of the Upwork Marketplace. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

I am looking the report option and you have shared it. Thanks 🙂

thank you

Sir , Recently I got an opportunity from OWORKERS, Someone send me a message in Upwork inbox and told me as I selected for the Data Entry Job. So I accepted and he send me a telegram link for further activities. So I started to chat with given telegram link. So they gave typing project which was 400 pages. They told me to pay 34$ as Milestone charges which was refunded while getting first 30 pages salary because it's there unpublished book and they  gave an ID to transfer it. So I did payment to them nearly 12000 in my country. After that I have completed my first 30 pages and submit then they asked my banks details but I don't have TIN number so I said I applied I government for that after that I'll give details like wise I said. They told me if you don't have TIN number you should but ITN number for 37$ so I didn't agree that. But I told them let keep the salary I'll get my TIN number and let you know.

So after some time I checked for the chat I telegram there is no chat exist.

So I send mail about it their Mail I'd is here attached 

crart
Community Member

Communicating outside UW before contract starts is against Terms of Service which you accepted by signing up.

Falling for "pay us to get a job" is just plain silly.

bc2ceb53
Community Member

I'm very new to this platform and I think it's like that 

After that now realized it. 

😔😔😔😔😔😔

Hi, I'm new to upwork and this is exactly how things happened with me today. I got the exact same messages from 'oworkers' asking for a MILESTONE( AWARD)AGREEMENT CHARGE.  Before I went further with the process I just had to check one more time and found out that it's a scam . 

IMG_25661226_212157.JPG

Screenshot_25661226_212229.JPG

Screenshot_25661226_212316.JPG

So I send mail about it their Mail I'd is here attached 👉**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And I have attached some payment proof photos also here.

But response yet regarding my payment and refund of milestone charges. 

Please help me to solve this problem 

petra_r
Community Member

You can filter most of them out by running a search with certain words excused, such as whatsapp and telegram - then save that search

filtered search.png

guosarah
Community Member

Look at these ridiculous jobs, I can not believe it happened on such a well-known platform.

I love this platform, I don't want to leave to search for another one...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Guo, 

If you think a job post is suspicious, feel free to report it by following the steps here in the future. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

If you think a job post is suspicious, feel free to report it by following the steps here in the future. 

Avery, with all due respect, there are now WAY too many to flag, it would take literally hours. We're long past that.

How about Upwork employees (who are PAID to do this, which we are not) simply run a search for "//t.me/" (169 of them, all scam) and then another for "Whatsapp" (721, mostly scam) and so on?

How hard can it BE?

Why isn't this done?

Why were the warnings discontinued when people wrote contact details in messages? They were mildly irritating but at least nobody could pretend not to know the rules?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand why Community members are upset. 

I have reported these to the team. They are aware of this concern, and the team will continue improving our processes to help keep the marketplace safe for all users. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote: I understand why Community members are upset. . 

Thank you,

I have reported these to the team.

Again? You guys have been "reporting these to the team" for weeks, if not months, And yet, here we are.

They are aware of this concern

Well, then why aren't they doing anything about it? Something as simple as searching for some super-simple keywords or having simple filters for them? It's not rocket science, is it?

the team will continue improving our processes to help keep the marketplace safe for all users. 

That sounds very nice but isn't what is happening. It also doesn't answer my questions.

It should also be possible to search for contact information in clients' responses to proposals. So, even if they don't include it in the job posting, they'll still be caught as soon as they send a message to the freelancer inviting offsite contact. These messages could be automatically blocked. 

More sophisticated search algorithms could focus especially on new clients' activities and communications. Nearly all scammers have been registered for no more than a day or two on the site.

It might also be possible to detect any move towards offsite payments on the part of freelancers, before they take up that fantastic once-in-a-lifetime offer to buy crypto, PUBG UC, or whatever.

mak777
Community Member

I also believe that this is not that hard and if their staff can't do this they can pay rewards to freelancers for reporting these posts.

Or I doubt, maybe they are not preventing them intentionally? Because these fake job posts increase the figure of TOTAL JOB POSTED on Upwork which they would claim in their REPORTS. They may not be doing this intentionally if they mention in their reports how many fake jobs are posted on Upwork each year, I am not aware of it so not sure.

m-donna
Community Member

They will just raising our prices and number of connects required.  Keeps up with inflation, but not hiring new people evidently.  I've made the same suggestion - a human (or two) filter.  

m-donna
Community Member

I've reported quite a few.  They just pop up gain with another title.  I spend 100s of credits before I realized.  And realized they don't pay to post so why not keep trying

vinod1017
Community Member

Thanks for information. most of the clients are asking to join in telegram and other chat also that;s we can't trust also. for awarding jobs they are asking insurance fee also before awarding jobs.

abhisheksen01
Community Member

I have been getting invites from such job postings, Is it okay if I decline them? Or declining them will negatively impact me?

You absolutely should decline them. 

m-donna
Community Member

@upwork I don't know where to start a topic - but not only are so many fake (and I boost and use up my connects) but there are so many that are companies "we are about to start" this or that without any intention of paying.  I've spent so much time talking to people only to have them query me about if something will work, then they say if they try it they will request their buyers pay such and such and I can have half.  Never anywhere near what I say my rate is, and the companies are not even in existence yet.  I would like all of my connects back and hopefully can figure out how to detect these and the fake ones.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members