garu1987

Fake feedback

Hello to everyone!

I would like your advice about a fake comment left by a client.

I already wrote on this forum about this bad experience. This was the Post:

"I got a bad experience with a client and I like to share that with all of you...so be Careful! 
I recently made few designs for a client  and this was the contract :
"I am interested in 3 designs that will be used for T-shirt, Mug and Phone Case. The style I want are; (1) Patriotic US design, (1) funny/quirky quote design and (1) magical/mythical/fairy-like design. Each design upon acceptance, will be provided in different sizes in .PNG format.

I have a fixed budget of $25 each (negotiable) and I can always add a "thank you" bonus if we get really great designs in the end Smiley Happy"
I made 6 different designs for the first theme and she wanted all of them( she also asked to delivery it as png,jpg,ai, rbg and cmyk color mode, and sized for Phone cases, tshirts, Mug and Mouse pad), so you can understand the huge work I did.

Now that she had to pay me (25 dollars for design..it means 150 dollars for all of 6 designs she asked), she said that she wanted a design collections  for each theme. She has never written this as you can see on the contract, and she only paid me 25 for the whole job."

I've just noticed she left me this feedback:

Deborah, under promised but over delivered. I am impressed with her work and would certainly recommend her. Always make sure your expectations are clearly spelt out however. If you are unfamiliar with certain terminologies like I was, then make sure you explain in a manner that ensures both parties are on the same page. Joan

I'm so mad now, because I basically worked for free, she stole 6 of my designs without pay them and now I have this message on my profile and might other clients think I'm not serious about the job I do. 

What would you do in this situation?

Should I reply to this comment or just forget it?

thank you so much

Deborah

9 REPLIES 9
lysis10

uh do you know what "underpromised and overdelivered" mean? Uh this is not a bad thing. It's actually a good way to play the game.

There are a lot of expoiters out there that will engage in these sort of promises they never intend on keeping. Unless you have worked with a client previously and know them to be trustworthy and reliable, always consider the fact they could be potentially wrongheaded. Always make sure there is a milestone securely in place before beginning any additional work. It must be set in stone. Promises are tenuous and can be broken. Milestones offer more leveage on your behalf. 

mariawicz5

I would forget it and be more picky with clients. Before working with her, she had no previous feedback which can be troublesome.
petra_r

"Deborah, under promised but over delivered." essentially is a positive comment.

I feel the problem here was a breakdown in communication - the client had a different idea of what is, and is not included, because this was (it seems) not clarified or specified before the contract even started.

Always make sure you spell it out for the client so this does not happen again.

In your proposal you can say

"I am happy to provide you with X initial designs to choose from. You may choose one or more, and each would be charged at $ X.XX. You would own the designs you have chosen and paid for, I retain ownership for any you have decided against. The final product would be delivered in X and Y format at no further cost, any further formats would be charged at $ X.XX"

That way the client AND you know right off the bat what is and what is not in scope, and nobody ends up freeling used or taken advantage of.

Ummmm... "under promised but overdelivered" is not "essentially" a positive comment, it is DEFINITELY a positive comment. It is, in fact, high praise, It means that Deborah pleased her client by delivering more than was expected. Deborah EXCEEDED expectations. The phrase is a common colloquialism, although usually used by someone in the context of describing what it is that he or she intends to do, rather than as a description of what has been done: e.g., "It's always best to under-promise and over-deliver, rather than to over-promise and/or under-deliver."

@Janean L wrote:

Ummmm... "under promised but overdelivered" is not "essentially" a positive comment, it is DEFINITELY a positive comment.

You saw the star rating and the context that sentence came with, right?

m_njari

"Deborah, under promised but over delivered".

For this remark, potential clients will want you for a contractor. The client actually gave you a vote of confidence which you can use as a bargaining chip in future job offers.Nobody likes someone who overpromises and under-delivers. They want someone like the one described by your client (you).   

cupidmedia

Deborah, like others have said, the sentence you're concerned about is in fact a positive sentence. If you're concerned about the rest of the review, you could respond to that, but I honestly wouldn't bother. The review itself and the star rating are pretty good. They don't stick out like a "bad" review worth responding to.

“Deborah, under promised but over delivered.”

Taken in context, the remark is not positive.

Is this positive?

“I was a stranger, and he took me in.”

"Certa bonum certamen"