Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fake job alert

efekurnaz
Efe Can K Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
1 of 9

Hi guys,

I've faced with an annoying situation that I wanted to share with you.

Since the last changes on oDesk, those 'fancy connects' are quite valuable and spending them on these scammer clients is very annoying and I don't understand how oDesk doesn't think about this side.

There's a guy, opening fake accounts with names like 'behet' 'konex' 'johan' etc. Jobs are generally about web design and they seem very 'generic'; actually there's almost no way to identify it as scam from the job post, he is spending quite a lot time on these posts obviously. The common thing between these posts are they're fixed budget about a few grands ($2000, $3000) and he writes this something like this in the end of the post:

Desired Skills

CSS, HTML, WordPress

Then when you apply, he replies back at you stating that he doesn't need someone for this project anymore but he has another project which is irrelevant to the subject, something about posting sale ads online and getting bonuses per sale.

I have faced with him in a different project yesterday and blocked, now today I'm again in his net with a whole different job post. Now all I have is -2 connects and time spent for nothing. In future, these jobs will require 4-5 connects for ther money and it'll be painful when we face with this situation.

oDesk, for these kind of clients, I have some suggestions on connections. I know identity authentication is not a good option that firstcomers will step back. As you can easily open an account in here with just an email, there are lots of fake jobs in here. We can see that they have no verified payment method but more than half of the clients on my job feed doesn't have any. 

Suggestions for saving our connects:

• When we apply a job and clients replies our letter, there should be an option to withdraw and get the connects back! If the client doesn't reply our cover letter, then ok let the connects go.
  • If client doesn't reply anybody in 10 days or sth, or cancels the project, give our connects back because there is a HUGE amount of client doing this. I'm getting %5 response on all my applications and I'm checking them, most of them are not even interviewed with somebody.

There can be more suggestions like these, without these improvements, sorry but this system looks nothing more than an attempt to get more money from freelancers. It's not solving anything for now, just causing more anger. Don't make posting a job harder but incase of scam or unresponsive jobs, they should be punished and we should be awarded (with our connects back, there's nothing to do for the time wasted). 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 9

This is the guy everyone's complaining about. God knows how many connects people have wasted on him. already It will get to the stage where nobody will want to bid on anything anymore soon Man Sad

efekurnaz
3 of 9

Definitely, I just had three bids since 1st April, two of them spent on this guy. I can't find a good job post worth to apply. It's not good at all.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 9

Of course, there are now plenty of genuine clients who haven't been able to verify their payment records yet who aren't getting any bids at all. This is not a logical system.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 9

I saw a few like that and didn't apply--just lucky or paranoid, I guess. I thought it a bit odd that suddenly there were several jobs with rather similar, largish dollar amounts. I hope everyone who was tricked gets their connects back soon.

6 of 9

I hope someone upstairs will check my suggestions and arrange some improvements on this unfair situation.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 9

Hi Efe,

Thanks for the notice. We will remove jobs that violate our policy (and you'll get your Connects back in these instances), so if you're coming across any jobs of this sort, please do report them and we will get on it. 

Also, if the client cancels the job post without hiring, we will return those Connects as well. 

snonis
Shenaal N Member Since: Feb 22, 2016
8 of 9

This is wonderful to hear! I see many people complaining about the shoddy upwork customer service but in every instance including facebook, I see upwork responding to nearly every comment and post. I'm very happy with the upwork service and yes as a rather newcomer to online work, I have wasted plenty of my connects on unverified strange job postings, but I don't mind cause I know that upwork is working on it and we get to report suspicious postings. Kudos to everyone here! Smiley Happy

chajder_kamil
Kamil C Member Since: May 10, 2015
9 of 9

I got scammed by the same guy. These connects aren't working, gives people incentive to post fake jobs and thin out competition.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS