🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake job and client?
Page options
mayue3081249
Community Member

Fake job and client?

Does this look like a fake job? I received this for a google hangout interview. I hid some information about the client. 

Hope you are doing well?

My name is ********8, Recruitment Lead at ******* tried reaching you for a potential job opportunity of an INTERPRETER with one of our direct client based out in Leverkusen, Germany. Your portfolio published on UPWORK has been reviewed by our HR Department at (***** ) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise. You've been assigned to

, he would be conducting an online interview with you.

We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination.

More information about ***** is available at

Position: INTERPRETER JOB.
Job type: Contract based, Full-time, Part-time (Freelancers).
Wage: $5,000 per month/$65,000 per annul.
Your salary package may include pension benefits, commissions and bonuses.
These numbers are a guide.
No Startup Costs.
Work Location: From home.

Training:
You'll go through a thorough, comprehensive, five (5) days training online program during your probationary period. The candidate will be getting a career, not a stepping stone. This is an amazing opportunity for the right individual who will get all the necessary guidance and training to have a far-reaching career.

To contact him, set up a screen name with Gmail hangout *******and add up the Company Hiring Manager's hangouts screen name

and instant message him to proceed with the job interview

Interview Scheduled : Mondays - Fridays
Venue: On line Via Google Hangouts
Time : 9:00 AM EST - 5:00 PM EST
Training is Available.

Your verification code is****** . This would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
melaniekhenson
Community Member

It does to me.

Thank you. I think so too. 

JoanneP

Hi Yue,

Could you please send me a PM with more information about this job post so I can check? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, Joanne,

Thank you for helping, but I have a problem sending you a message. The website said: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action". 

I would like to give you more information, but I don't know how to contact you privately.

The original job title is 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you again. 

Best,

Yue 

Hi Yue,

I sent you a PM. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
kat303
Community Member

Yue - Any time the word GOOGLE HANGOUT is mentioned then it's a scam.

Search this discussion site for scams so you can learn about the other scams going around.

Thank you. I am very surprised people try so hard to even make scams on upwork. 

Yue M wrote:

Thank you. I am very surprised people try so hard to even make scams on upwork. 

It's one of the oldest scams going.  Yue think about it. What freelance (even B&M) job is going to give you the following:

Position: INTERPRETER JOB.
Job type: Contract based, Full-time, Part-time (Freelancers).
Wage: $5,000 per month/$65,000 per annul.
Your salary package may include pension benefits, commissions and bonuses.
These numbers are a guide.
No Startup Costs.
Work Location: From home.

The whole proposal screams scam. Nothing in freelancing should surprise you. On Upwork you should read this thread - every single link - before accepting any invitation or submitting a proposal. https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

In general, browse Google for all the possible scams ... it is educational!

Thank you. People around me started to receive google hangout scams too. After scammers get personal information, they even steal related people's identity to keep asking for money. 

Kathy T wrote:

Search this discussion site for scams so you can learn about the other scams going around.

Why is Google Hangouts the scammers' contact method of choice? I've never used it and don't know anything about it - I was just curious. Is it harder to track someone that way?

Christine A wrote:

Kathy T wrote:

Why is Google Hangouts the scammers' contact method of choice? I've never used it and don't know anything about it - I was just curious. Is it harder to track someone that way?

Probably a target/channel of opportunity, as you suggest. It used to be Yahoo that screamed scam or security threat.

Deleted. Crossed posts with the same answer. 

Christine A wrote:

Kathy T wrote:

It allows for auto-response chats. Their "interviews" are structured so you are prompted to type "yes" or "ok" to prompt the next response from the scammer (or rather the bot.) Because most people realize very quickly that it is a dumb scam, they have to get through hundreds to find someone who'll actually fall for it, so it is a numbers game.

By using auto-responders on Hangout one scammer can "interview" dozens of "applicants" at the same time in the hope that someone falls for it.

The next step would then be the scammer sending a fake check "for equipment" - the victim banks the fake check, sends real money to the scammer (thinking they are buying stuff from a "trusted supplier") and by the time the fake check bounces, the real money is long gone.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members