🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fake jobs post in Upwork since connects a...
Page options
blinkea
Community Member

Fake jobs post in Upwork since connects are paid.

Hi there,

Is every one facing same issue? before I apply few jobs and i get response and get orders. But now I applied more than 200 jobs not getting response and not even jobs are awarded. 

Seems like since connects are paid, jobs and gigs are fake.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rolludesig
Community Member

yes i am facing the issue..almost exhausted around 170-180 connects..thinking of holding bidding for sometime unless there is any invitations...no point go on wasting connects..

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
prestonhunter
Community Member

Why would you say job posts are fake?

Which job post did you see that was fake?

Preston H wrote:

Why would you say jobs are fake?

Which job did you see that was fake?

Clearly he means "job posts" - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

He explained what he meant well enough to understand it, surely?

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Why would you say jobs are fake?

Which job did you see that was fake?

Clearly he means "job posts" - either you are being incredibly dense, or are trying to mock the OPs poor English.

He explained what he meant well enough to understand it, surely?

Still works, though:

'Why would you say "job posts" are fake?'

OP provided such a plethora of information, makes me thing that he is fake.

Petra:

I'm not mocking anybody or being dense.

If the original poster believes that Upwork is plagued by fake job posts, this could indeed be a problem.

I have not seen a proliferation of fake job posts.

If he has information about this, I would like him to tell us more.

But also: I have seen posts suggesting that Upwork itself is posting fake jobs. I don't believe this is the case. Not at all.

I'm wondering if the original poster believes that Upwork itself posts fake jobs so that it can make money from connects.

The original poster is offering his services as a New York City-based graphic designer, with a job success score of 68%. I am sorry if he is having a difficult time getting jobs, but I would like to know if it is because the jobs he is sending proposals to are indeed fake jobs (or "fake job posts"), or if his problems are due to other reasons. Such as clients choosing other freelancers.

Petra and Preston are both extremely valuable members of this community. They are different, each with their own ways and their own personality, but I know that every time they give an opinion, or they answer a question, somebody will learn something. Me included.

When they publicly argue on the forums is the only time when they bring no value to anyone.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Petra and Preston are both extremely valuable members of this community. They are different, each with their own ways and their own personality, but I know that every time they give an opinion, or they answer a question, somebody will learn something. Me included.

When they publicly argue on the forums is the only time when they bring no value to anyone.

Speak for yourself, Rene ... I enjoy the repartee. Smiley Wink

Virginia F wrote:

Speak for yourself, Rene ... I enjoy the repartee. Smiley Wink

Okay, but they let's do that the right way. Let's build a dome...

ob_13bd58_avant-le-combat-sous-le-dome-du-tonne.jpg

-----------

Rene K wrote:

is the only time when they bring no value to anyone.

As long as I don't get paid, my duty to "bring value" 100% of the time is exactly 0

Furthermore, debunking BS "brings value" to "someone" (if nobody else it brings value to me.)

I would also like to add to Rene's observation that personal attacks and being disrespectful toward other members is against the Community Guidelines

We ask members of this Community to remain professional even if they disagree with each other. Then, there is no need to build a dome.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Preston H wrote:

The original poster is offering his services as a New York City-based graphic designer, with a job success score of 68%. I am sorry if he is having a difficult time getting jobs, but I would like to know if it is because the jobs he is sending proposals to are indeed fake jobs (or "fake job posts"), or if his problems are due to other reasons. Such as clients choosing other freelancers.

Well, yes, obviously 😉

It seems that now people are paying for Connects they are actually taking notice of what they are doing.

I would still maintain that the question was clear enough.

my score went to 68% because I didnt work any more on upwork since one month. Due to personal things. You don't need to judge me. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Haroon P wrote:

my score went to 68% because I didnt work any more on upwork since one month. 

No. This is not why your JSS went down. It doesn't go down because you stop using Upwork.

-----------

Hello there, in previous days I am facing the same problem and I need to get the solution from anyone, K posted on many online platforms for this transferwise problem and at that time I was in hutty to transfer so finally thanks to the upwork community for helping us and giving the best possible solution for this issue. it would be ideal if you add TransferWise to **Edited for Community Guidelines** Upwork. This is an exceptionally cool approach to pull back cash with a base commission!

Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

some jobs try to say lets chat on hangout and i figure out it was scammer. and more than 90% jobs are kinda fake because I get email daily job closed. 

yitwail
Community Member

Haroon P wrote:

some jobs try to say lets chat on hangout and i figure out it was scammer. and more than 90% jobs are kinda fake because I get email daily job closed. 

If you apply to a job and someone else is hired, you can still get a notice that the job was closed, so it doesn't mean the job was a fake. I know this because I got a job closed for the last 2 jobs I applied to, and the client hired someone else both times.

Few jobs I reported. They were scam. I got upwork email that those account are closed but we cannot share the result.

rolludesig
Community Member

yes i am facing the issue..almost exhausted around 170-180 connects..thinking of holding bidding for sometime unless there is any invitations...no point go on wasting connects..

tlbp
Community Member

Rahul V wrote:

That's a pretty high burn rate. I think step one in adjusting to the new connects program is to examine your ROI on past bids. 

Everyone's strategies for investing time and connects will need to shift. 

rolludesig
Community Member

yes it is ..i need to hold off bidding now for a while till next cycle which is still 12 days..

its tough to examine my ROI on past bids but i am pretty sure it was much much better before

my score went to 68% because I didnt work any more on upwork since one month. Due to personal things. You don't need to judge me. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Me too. I decided not to bid anymore. Since I applied much more. My score went to 68%. It was 91%

Haroon,

Please, note that if a job you bid on is cancelled for violating Upwork ToS, the connects used to bid on it are returned. Also, sending proposals has no effect on JSS.

All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other members.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am not sure I would call it fake, exactly, but...

I have definitely seen many jobs posted on here, which are also posted word-for-word identically on other Freelancing sites. So, the client may not hire through Upwork, and from the outset is looking for applicants through multiple avenues. This is even the case with clients who have a history of hiring and spending here. 

Yes, that is super annoying, and often basically impossible to know. 

Am I correct in saying that if a client does not close a job or hire, but just leaves it there - then the connects are spent and not refunded. Do job posts 'timeout' at some point, and the connects refunded? 

Nikaya L wrote:

I am not sure I would call it fake, exactly, but...

I have definitely seen many jobs posted on here, which are also posted word-for-word identically on other Freelancing sites. So, the client may not hire through Upwork, and from the outset is looking for applicants through multiple avenues. This is even the case with clients who have a history of hiring and spending here. 

Yes, that is super annoying, and often basically impossible to know. 

Why do you find it annoying that a client is doing the smart thing for his/her business and using multiple channels to try to find the best possible freelancer for the job? 

chasb
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

Why do you find it annoying that a client is doing the smart thing for his/her business and using multiple channels to try to find the best possible freelancer for the job? 

...or are they looking for the lowest price instead?

Savvy clients  are undoubtedly casting their net further.

Unrelated, of course, to recent changes here on both the client and freelancer side of the equation.

tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

...or are they looking for the lowest price instead?

Savvy clients  are undoubtedly casting their net further.

Unrelated, of course, to recent changes here on both the client and freelancer side of the equation.

I suppose some may be looking for the lowest prices, but that's not my experience. Quite a few of my clients have mentioned that mine was the highest bid they received and then gone ahead and paid my rate.

chasb
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

I suppose some may be looking for the lowest prices, but that's not my experience. Quite a few of my clients have mentioned that mine was the highest bid they received and then gone ahead and paid my rate.

Have a kudos point for being one of the few exceptions to the majority opinion frequently expressed on these very same pages.

florydev
Community Member

That’s an interesting way to put it...
The majority of people on Upwork never make any money at all. Are you sure that is whose company you want to keep?

I have never had a client say what Tif said but I am almost always the most expensive. So say it or not they did exactly that...and I haven’t yet had one say “wish we hadn’t done that”.

I don’t give a slap about the majority. There is nothing inherently right in what the crowd thinks. But you can stick to that majority if that makes you happy.
tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Have a kudos point for being one of the few exceptions to the majority opinion frequently expressed on these very same pages.

Chris, I may be an exception--I have very clear credentials in my niche. But, it is hard to know, because people frequently come to the forums and announce that they can't get hired because other freelancers are bidding so low, and when experienced freelancers look at their profiles there are a great many other very obvious reasons that they are not getting hired. 

I think "other people are willing to work cheaper" is one of a handful of knee-jerk reasons freelancers default to when they're not getting hired. Sometimes, I'm sure it's true. But, other times, that's probably not the issue.

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Tiffany isn't bragging, she's stating a fact. It's not unusual to win a contract based on a bid that's higher than the prospect's stated budget. As others have suggested, you can listen to those with that experience, or you can commiserate with those who feel their chances are determined by this marketplace's bottom feeders, not by the inherent market value of the services they offer.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Tiffany isn't bragging, she's stating a fact. It's not unusual to win a contract based on a bid that's higher than the prospect's stated budget. As others have suggested, you can listen to those with that experience, or you can commiserate with those who feel their chances are determined by this marketplace's bottom feeders, not by the inherent market value of the services they offer.

The topic under discussion was actually about clients cross-posting their projects elsewhere. Tiffany chose not to address that point at all - and nor do you.

Top rated freelancers have never had, nor will have, their chances determined by bottom feeders, so I'll be compelled to interpret that remark as little more than 'thinly-veiled mockery' of other top rated individuals here.

And lastly, I have twelve years of freelancing experience behind me, so would doubt there's much that any so-called 'guru' here can inform me about how this game actually works.

tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

The topic under discussion was actually about clients cross-posting their projects elsewhere. Tiffany chose not to address that point at all - and nor do you.

Chris, the topic of the thread was actually the posting of FAKE jobs to get freelancers to spend connects.

The topic of the response I answered was cross-posting. I went to link to my response to that post for you since you were under the impression I hadn't addressed that issue, but then I saw that you were just lying...not only had you responded directly to the post in which I addressed that issue (and only that issue), you ASKED whether the real issue was clients seeking lower prices...everything I said later was in direct response to a question you asked.

Top rated freelancers have never had, nor will have, their chances determined by bottom feeders, so I'll be compelled to interpret that remark as little more than 'thinly-veiled mockery' of other top rated individuals here.

Right. Because we were born top-rated. Unlike everyone else who comes to Upwork, we magically had Upwork histories and reviews and JSS and top-rated status immediately upon registration and didn't have to establish ourselves at all.

And, the many dozens of top-rated freelancers regularly posting here and talking about how they can't get work because of price competition are just lying. 

And lastly, I have twelve years of freelancing experience behind me, so would doubt there's much that any so-called 'guru' here can inform me about how this game actually works.

Yet, you think clients are only interested in pricing, and we're having no trouble connecting with clients who pay what we ask without regard to what others are charging. Still seeing bottom feeders as an obstacle after 12 years is nothing to be proud of.

chasb
Community Member

Lol, congrats on a true masterpiece of obfuscation and double-speak there.

Should keep me busy for a day or two chiselling this into stone:

"And, the many dozens of top-rated freelancers regularly posting here and talking about how they can't get work because of price competition are just lying."

tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

"And, the many dozens of top-rated freelancers regularly posting here and talking about how they can't get work because of price competition are just lying."

Yes, I thought that was a very absurd thing for you to be suggesting. You do know, don't you, that there are top-rated freelancers who are $3/hour data entry clerks and romance writers who get paid $200 per 40,000-word book and such?

Possibly top-rated doesn't mean what you think it means. 

chasb
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Yes, I thought that was a very absurd thing for you to be suggesting. You do know, don't you, that there are top-rated freelancers who are $3/hour data entry clerks and romance writers who get paid $200 per 40,000-word book and such?

Yes, I have long been aware that lower fee freelancers can also be top rated.

But does your benchmark for top rated status extend also to those with 10k, 20k, 30k plus earnings?

Because these are the very same top rated people that I'm referring to.

Not once did I mention or defend freelancers who don't make a penny here - and why you supposed 'gurus' are assuming as such I do not know.

tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Yes, I have long been aware that lower fee freelancers can also be top rated.

But does your benchmark for top rated status extend also to those with 10k, 20k, 30k plus earnings?

Because these are the very same top rated people that I'm referring to.

Well, if you meant "people with $10k+ in earnings have never had, nor will have, their chances determined by bottom feeders," then you probably should have said that instead of "Top rated freelancers have never had, nor will have, their chances determined by bottom feeders"

You would still have been completely wrong, since of course those of us who have made tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on Upwork were all new once, but at least you would have been honest.

Not once did I mention or defend freelancers who don't make a penny here - and why you supposed 'gurus' are assuming as such I do not know.

And, of course, no one said you had. What I said was that top rated is a pretty meaningless designation and your assertion that no top rated freelancer's success was impaired by competition from bottom feeders was inaccurate.

chasb
Community Member

Thx for yet another blurb of total lawyerly **edited for Community Guidelines** unworthy of comment....

Instead, I'll repeat the remark you obviously took offence to:

Clients are cross-posting on other platforms for cost-shaving reasons, not to find the niche skills you insist is this case.

Of course there are fake jobs, its all to get ur connects and money just for bidding. All i have earned i gave it for connects and now i am at 0. It  should be take connects only when client hire u thats right for me. This is pure theft on our hard work especially beginners

tlsanders
Community Member

Vacce J wrote:

Of course there are fake jobs, its all to get ur connects and money just for bidding. All i have earned i gave it for connects and now i am at 0. It  should be take connects only when client hire u thats right for me. This is pure theft on our hard work especially beginners

Right...because faced with a choice between making $12 on a freelancer who spends a bunch of connects bidding on fake jobs and making $700 in fees from a freelancer who wins actual jobs and is working, Upwork will of course opt to invest its resources in making a labor-intensive $12?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths