🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fake photo in verified profile
Page options
jr-translation
Community Member

Fake photo in verified profile

I stumbled over a profile of a top rated freelancer, the photo is fake and the portfolio shows the poor quality of his work.

Since it says on the profile:
"This freelancer’s identity has been verified through a government ID check and a video call. You will see their verified name if you enter into a contract together."

I can only assume that photos used in profiles are not checked and freelancers can just use any photo they find on the internet as long the goverment ID matches the person in the video call.

23 REPLIES 23
m_terrazas
Community Member

Actually, I find it very difficult to understand how it is possible that his identity is verified.
How did he do it? He made a mask? Dis he fool the interviewer like that?

MYSTERY!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please send me the profile link via PM you`re referring to so that I can check the details? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The profile is flagged and with links to websites with the image.
A widely used image, LOL

Goran V wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please send me the profile link via PM you`re referring to so that I can check the details? Thank you.

Goran,

Well, he is gone. Really quick! Smiley Surprised
But I keep asking the same thing, how did he pass the video verification?
Who did his verification? Perhaps he/she needs glasses.
Or did he change the photo right after passing it? That is not controlled?

Hi Jennifer and Maria,

Thanks for flagging this profile! I can confirm we have systems in place to detect violations like these and will soon be expanding the tools we use in order to ensure accounts reflect accurate information. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Jennifer and Maria,

Thanks for flagging this profile! I can confirm we have systems in place to detect violations like these and will soon be expanding the tools we use in order to ensure accounts reflect accurate information. 

Another verified faked profile. Alexander Skarsgard is not native German.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013a76dfa0a7916b09

Adding to what Jennifer has said, there are at least ten false Nigerian profiles, all with the same name,  (sometimes reversed) the same copied profiles, but different (fake) pictures, different countries. Most offer translation services, others offer copywriting and so forth. 

Rather than rolling out absurd messages to top-rated freelancers about not being in touch with clients, isn't it time for Upwork to stop relying on freelancers to act as Upwork's unpaid police service and coming out with platudinous statements that systems have been put in place to stop this sort activity.  

Nichola L wrote:

Adding to what Jennifer has said, there are at least ten false Nigerian profiles, all with the same name,  (sometimes reversed) the same copied profiles, but different (fake) pictures, different countries. Most offer translation services, others offer copywriting and so forth. 

Rather than rolling out absurd messages to top-rated freelancers about not being in touch with clients, isn't it time for Upwork to stop relying on freelancers to act as Upwork's unpaid police service and coming out with platudinous statements that systems have been put in place to stop this sort activity.  

One of these profiles made 17k in two months.

Jennifer R wrote:

That's the kind of thing that raises (once again) the specter of money laundering.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

That's the kind of thing that raises (once again) the specter of money laundering.

Not in this case. The client hired two proofreaders for a translation job. He will surely try to get some money back.

I am post-retirement age and not very tech savvy but even I know to right click an image to search.  Can CS not be taught this basic skill?

ETA there are pictures of Bradley Cooper on a bunch of profiles...

re: "Alexander Skarsgard is not native German."

He was German in "The Aftermath."

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 4.27.58 PM.png

re: "...there are pictures of Bradley Cooper on a bunch of profiles..."

Whether it is Bradley Cooper or Alexander Skarsgard or Tom Cruise... It surprises me that fraudulent freelancers use pictures of movie stars when they create their fake profile pages. I would respect the fakers more if they didn't use such obvious fake photos.

Hi Goran, 

One of my clients has a fake picture and just their initials instead of a real name. How can I be sure it's not a fraud and they're going to pay me? They have a verified payment method but is that enough?

Thanks,

Eleonora G wrote:

Hi Goran, 

One of my clients has a fake picture and just their initials instead of a real name. How can I be sure it's not a fraud and they're going to pay me? They have a verified payment method but is that enough?

Thanks,

As for hourly work that doesn't matter. For a fixed price, it's risky. I had few of those clients. They paid me, but all of them weren't that good of clients.

Resurrecting the thread.

How is it possible that there are still freelancers who have two accounts?
I have found a freelancer who has two accounts, both verified, with the photo of the same person (different position but perfectly recognizable), both top rated, and who claims to live in two different cities. Not only that, two different countries, and more, two different continents.
The name, easy, change the name to the last name.

By the way, marked profiles. PM to Valeria. And, there he continues.

Hi Maria,

We've followed up on your report with the team. The accounts will be reviewed according to our internal processes and appropriate action taken.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

I reported another verified profile with a stock photo.

But I was also wondering about clients using fake photos. Isn't that a ToS violation?

re: "But I was also wondering about clients using fake photos. Isn't that a ToS violation?"

I am not the one who decides that. But I have never considered it a TOS violation for clients to use image files that don't depict their own face. My personal preferences would be for Upwork to allow clients to not have a profile photo, or to use pretty much any avatar image they want.

Preston H wrote:

re: "But I was also wondering about clients using fake photos. Isn't that a ToS violation?"

I am not the one who decides that. But I have never considered it a TOS violation for clients to use image files that don't depict their own face. My personal preferences would be for Upwork to allow clients to not have a profile photo, or to use pretty much any avatar image they want.

Yes, I don't care about clients not using a photo, but I now encountered one that uses a fake photo and wrong name. The ToS should apply to all users and it clearly says:

4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services:
[...]

Fraudulent or misleading uses or content, including:

[...]
using a profile photo that is not you, misrepresents your identity or represents you as someone else, or any other activity that misrepresents your identity;

Preston H wrote:

But I have never considered it a TOS violation for clients to use image files that don't depict their own face.

It either is or it isn't. It's not something we can consider to be or not to be. As it happens, it is a TOS violation for any user to use an image that misrepresents their identity.. 

Preston H wrote:

My personal preferences would be for Upwork to allow clients to not have a profile photo, or to use pretty much any avatar image they want.

Clients don't have to have a profile picture and can use pretty much any avatar they want. 

Jennifer R wrote:

But I was also wondering about clients using fake photos. Isn't that a ToS violation?

Does the photo still have the watermark? I can't imagine any of these grifters paying €67.99 for it.

Robert Y wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Does the photo still have the watermark? I can't imagine any of these grifters paying €67.99 for it.

I guess it was stolen from a one of the pages that actually paid for the use.

Hi Jennifer,

Clients can choose to upload a profile picture to their account. They can  upload a photo of themselves (the account holder) or their logo. Alternatively, they can choose not to have a picture at all. Clients are not however, permitted to use a fake picture or a picture of somebody else who is not the account owner. We appreciate you flagging such accounts so that the team can review these instances.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths