cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake photo in verified profile

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
1 of 13

I stumbled over a profile of a top rated freelancer, the photo is fake and the portfolio shows the poor quality of his work.

Since it says on the profile:
"This freelancer’s identity has been verified through a government ID check and a video call. You will see their verified name if you enter into a contract together."

I can only assume that photos used in profiles are not checked and freelancers can just use any photo they find on the internet as long the goverment ID matches the person in the video call.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
2 of 13

Actually, I find it very difficult to understand how it is possible that his identity is verified.
How did he do it? He made a mask? Dis he fool the interviewer like that?

MYSTERY!

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
3 of 13

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please send me the profile link via PM you`re referring to so that I can check the details? Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
4 of 13

The profile is flagged and with links to websites with the image.
A widely used image, LOL

Community Guru
5 of 13

Goran V wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please send me the profile link via PM you`re referring to so that I can check the details? Thank you.

Goran,

Well, he is gone. Really quick! Smiley Surprised
But I keep asking the same thing, how did he pass the video verification?
Who did his verification? Perhaps he/she needs glasses.
Or did he change the photo right after passing it? That is not controlled?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 13

Hi Jennifer and Maria,

Thanks for flagging this profile! I can confirm we have systems in place to detect violations like these and will soon be expanding the tools we use in order to ensure accounts reflect accurate information. 

Community Guru
7 of 13

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Jennifer and Maria,

Thanks for flagging this profile! I can confirm we have systems in place to detect violations like these and will soon be expanding the tools we use in order to ensure accounts reflect accurate information. 

Another verified faked profile. Alexander Skarsgard is not native German.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013a76dfa0a7916b09

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 13

Adding to what Jennifer has said, there are at least ten false Nigerian profiles, all with the same name,  (sometimes reversed) the same copied profiles, but different (fake) pictures, different countries. Most offer translation services, others offer copywriting and so forth. 

Rather than rolling out absurd messages to top-rated freelancers about not being in touch with clients, isn't it time for Upwork to stop relying on freelancers to act as Upwork's unpaid police service and coming out with platudinous statements that systems have been put in place to stop this sort activity.  

Community Guru
9 of 13

Nichola L wrote:

Adding to what Jennifer has said, there are at least ten false Nigerian profiles, all with the same name,  (sometimes reversed) the same copied profiles, but different (fake) pictures, different countries. Most offer translation services, others offer copywriting and so forth. 

Rather than rolling out absurd messages to top-rated freelancers about not being in touch with clients, isn't it time for Upwork to stop relying on freelancers to act as Upwork's unpaid police service and coming out with platudinous statements that systems have been put in place to stop this sort activity.  

One of these profiles made 17k in two months.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 13

Jennifer R wrote:

One of these profiles made 17k in two months.

That's the kind of thing that raises (once again) the specter of money laundering.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS