🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake posts using a bit.ly fake address
Page options
6125ff0c
Community Member

Fake posts using a bit.ly fake address

PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK INCLUDED BELOW:   PLEASE

There are one or more clients posting fake job postings of different types (web development, etc.) all refering to what looks like the same bitly link -  **Edited for Community Guidelines**    This links to an 'hvac site' which has NOTHING to do with the job posting.  This seems like either a scam to steal credential information or a scam to drive website traffic.  The client constantly changes the job posting description and the bitly link, but the link always goes to the same actual site.  This has been going on for months.  It would seem very easy for Uplink to add a posting check which checks new postings for links and matches them to a 'forbidden' list.  

This is not only irritating to freelancers but could result in compromise of private information or worse.

4 REPLIES 4
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thanks for the warning!

PradeepH

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience. While our team is working hard to rid our marketplace of all inappropriate jobs, we would appreciate it if you can report these suspicious job postings to our team. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

Pradeep 

thank you for your response.  I have been flagging this type of fake posting for months and will continue to do so.  it just seems that Upwork may be trying to eliminate these postings with mediator effort - this obviously won't work because the postings are being generated by an algorithm so it's kind of like 'wack-a-mole'.    So it requires an algorithmic solution.

Richard T

Good suggestion, I hope they take it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members