🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » False Allegations against my self from client...
Page options
aleempro
Community Member

False Allegations against my self from client in the review

Hi Upwork Experts

I have an issue with one of my clients that ended the contract by leaving an allegation in the review which is as follows.

"Put malicious script within the code so he could steal data without telling me and when confronted ignored the question. Was available and was responsive most of the time but if you hire him make sure you watch every move he makes as he can't be trusted. I really liked him too but when another programmer found this code and I confronted him he had nothing to say but read the message. You should not do that to people, never ends well. Best of luck to him though."

But the thing is the malicious code he is talking about is deployed by himself 4-5 months ago when we were not in a contract. So to cover up his mistakes he put all the blame on me. I have screenshots and loom video of code as well which clearly shows that mistake was at his end and he put an unreasonable allegation on me.

Here is the link to Loom Video which clearly shows my innocence. And proof that I am not the one to blame for his mistakes.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Moreover, he left a text with me at 2:30 Am which is I think time to sleep. Also, I never committed to working with him on weekends.

SO As soon as I got access to my system I explained everything. But he never responded back.

I have a great work history with Upwork with some big satisfied clients as well. And his review with false allegations is affecting my reputation on Upwork. Which I would like to be removed after looking into my case.

In addition to that, I would like if Upwork to initiate an Unbiased inquiry against this case. And for that, I am willing to share my screen with live proof because my reputation is at stake because of the client's own mistakes and not having good knowledge about the code.

I have screenshots as well of chat and code. I am attaching it here. Please suggest a solution. 

Looking forward to a positive response.

Regards,

Aleem Ahmed

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is a difficult situation to navigate, I see how it can be frustrating, but since he is the only one who can change the feedback, you'll need to keep trying to reach him.

Again, I'd avoid pointing to the other developer, it's not your job to find out who did it. Your goal is to get the client to consider that whoever it was - it was not you. His review that he left for you also contained good things about you. I do think he is a good person and tries to be fair, but strongly believes you did it. Ask him if he checked the evidence you provided, ask him what he would need from you to be proof that you didn't do it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tagrendy
Community Member

Hi Aleem, your response to his feedback was done in a bad way. You claim the client was purposefully blaming you for something he knew you hadn't done to protect his previous developer. This is not true. The client genuinely believes you were the one who put the malicious code in - regardless if it is true or not, you need to start by looking at things from his point of view, so that you can change his mind. At this point the client is your best chance at changing that feedback. I don't think customer support person is even allowed to change client feedbacks even if you reach out to them.

So what I'd advise you to do, is stay away from assumptions. Take what he says at his words. He believes you left the malicious code, and when he didn't get response from you, it more solidified for him that you're guilty. Let's agree that is not crazy conclusion for him to go to in that situation. Try to stay rational, the client does not care about his previous developer to blame you for his mistake. That is a far-fetched explanation for his accusation.

Try to reach him. Start with showing that you see why he would think what he thought. Show, that you believe him, and admit that your own accusation of him in your response was wrong, and you'd like to correct it.

Then go into explaining why you didn't respond to him right away and showing the proof you provided.

Don't accuse anyone, you don't know for sure who put the malicious code in there, what you know and what you can prove is that it wasn't you who did it, so stick to that.

Finally, if you find it appropriate, offer help and let him know you value him as a client.

aleempro
Community Member

Hi Tatvika ,

Thanks for your response. This is what I told him in the first place. I try to explain everything through screenshots and even made a video for him. Also explained to him the reason behind the delay in communication. The text was left at night. Also, it was the weekend so my system was not in my access. I shared the details as soon as I reached the system. 

But he was not ready to listen to my point of view. When I told him that this code is not mine it was already there he said that the other developer cannot do this I believe him. And he was not ready to listen. 

Also, he is not even ready to admit that he is wrong. If you see the loom video and screenshots it can easily prove my point of view. 

Thanks

It is a difficult situation to navigate, I see how it can be frustrating, but since he is the only one who can change the feedback, you'll need to keep trying to reach him.

Again, I'd avoid pointing to the other developer, it's not your job to find out who did it. Your goal is to get the client to consider that whoever it was - it was not you. His review that he left for you also contained good things about you. I do think he is a good person and tries to be fair, but strongly believes you did it. Ask him if he checked the evidence you provided, ask him what he would need from you to be proof that you didn't do it. 

PradeepH

Hi Aleem,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with a client. Please note that Upwork does not generally investigate any remarks posted by Users for accuracy or reliability. You have an option to follow up with your client directly and if they agree to change the feedback, you can 'Enable to feedback change' option to allow the client to update their feedback. I need to take off the video link and screenshots as they do not adhere to our Community Guidelines.  

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members