Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Claim Of Plagiarism

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
31 of 61

@Jennifer S wrote:

Hi Petra, 

My hands were tied really. I can't just magic money out of nowhere. Not to mention, I think that paying $300 to resolve a dispute is a ridiculous amount of money. 

And yet, what would you propose as an alternative? Upwork has already apparently done some good negotiating, since I've never worked with an arbitrator whose minimum fee was less than $1500. The $873 that the client, the freelancer, and Upwork collectively pay for arbitration is not an insignificant amount of money, but it is a bargain price for arbitration.

Jennifer S Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
32 of 61

I should add to that. It seems in your favour, as well as mine and other freelancers, to make sure that Upwork is fair for freelancers. To not make sure of that, you are enabling Upwork to rip off freelancers and potentially have yourself ripper off in the future. 

Community Guru
33 of 61

@Jennifer S wrote:

To not make sure of that, you are enabling Upwork to rip off freelancers

How is Upwork ripping off freelancers if a client doesn't pay? If the freelancer doesn't get paid, Upwork doesn't get paid.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
34 of 61

@Jennifer S wrote:

I should add to that. It seems in your favour, as well as mine and other freelancers, to make sure that Upwork is fair for freelancers. To not make sure of that, you are enabling Upwork to rip off freelancers and potentially have yourself ripper off in the future. 

I understand your anger and that is a big arbitration cost. Like Petra, I have never had a dispute, but do have the money reserved in the case of one. 

With all that said, it's not in Upwork's best interest to be "fair" to freelancers or clients. They are a business, just like you are. They are in the market of revenue and satisfying shareholders, just like any other big company. Being "fair" is not part of that definition. It's up to us to run our businesses as we see fit and up to them to run Upwork as they see fit. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
35 of 61

Jennifer, have you considered refunding the client and retaining the copyright on your work?

36 of 61

You are right Dave. It seems to me their FAQs page and how they actually function are two different things. 

The thing that worries me also, is it doesn't just allow that client to get away with doing it to me. Now he can go on to do it with other freelancers. He knows he can just wiggle his way out of it and that Upwork will allow him to do so. 'This work is plagiarized.' Or, the classic one, 'I don't like the work, so I'm not paying for it.' 

The client asked me to do several revisions for him. Which I agreed to do. During none of those revisions did he claim it what plagiarized, or that he didn't like the work. He just wanted me to clear up several things for him, which I did. I could have said I will keep the book. Which I was thinking about doing. But, I'd have had no guarantee that he couldn't have used it. 

Upworks policies seem to favour clients, probably because clients have the money. However, it's really freelancers who are the backbone of the company. And, if they aren't treated right or fairly, they will go elsewhere. Plus, it gives Upwork a bad reputation. 

Thanks, 

Jen

Community Guru
37 of 61

@Davide O wrote:

Plus, I was recently involved in a dispute, and one single sentence from the Upwork middleman really worried me:

"If you choose to pay the arbitration fee, I will inform your client..."

Does that mean that if, for some reason, I decide to pay the fee, they'll inform my client that I paid it?

Of course. How else could the process proceed? Anything else would be like you filing a lawsuit against someone but the court concealing from them that the suit had been filed.

If you and the client don't reach an agreement during the dispute process, there are two possibilities: you initiate arbitration and pay the fee or the money is returned to the client. How could the process move forward without telling the client which one you picked?

38 of 61

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
39 of 61

Jennifer, you may need to remove that link from your profile. You can't have it in there and it could get you suspended. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Holly J Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
40 of 61

My very first contract on UpWork, and this exact happens to me.

Everything was going so well. I was hired by a website to write a series of articles for them, close to 30, including an interview. A woman representing the company and I were communicating on the project and she was super excited to work with me. We started with 3-4 articles and I turned in two: an interview and a "tips" blog. She loved the work thus far, and I was in the middle of working on the 3rd article when a man entered the conversation claiming to be the "COO" of the company. He told me to "cease and desist" any further work for them, and that someone from UpWork would be in touch.

To make a long story short, after some bantering back and forth, basically he is claiming my work is a product of plagiarism. I think to myself "well it's nearly impossible to plagiarise an interview so he must be speaking about the 2nd assignment I turned in." I ran the entire article through multiple plagiarism checking tools and found that it's at least 94% unique. He ALSO told me to manually delete all of my hours for all of the work I've done, which I will not, I'll leave that up to UpWork to decide. I'm insulted because I worked so hard on these articles, really enjoyed them, and it's hurtful to me as an artist to be accused of such a thing. Of course, I'm assuming UW isn't going to side with me regardless of proof and he'll get away with not paying me.

Very fishy situation, and horrible first impression of this site.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS